Harry Lanum Loop Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.74080°N / 79.1713°W
Additional Information Route Type: hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


if coming from Buena Vista: go east on us 60 for 8.8 mile. Turn left onVA634 turn right ontoVA 755 this gravel road eventually turns into FS 48 keep going till you cross the appalachain trail follow the national forest signs from here to the dirt trailhead parking lot.

Route Description


start at the Mount Pleasant trailhead parking lot. This is a roughly a 6 mile round trip hike, some books say a little different give or take a mile. We went left threw a wooden gate and up torward Mt. Pompey. Along the way you go through a beautiful wooded and green forest. Lots of ferns cover the forest floor. Its a fairly moderate up hill hike till you get close to Mt. Pompey, then you go up and around the backside of this peak coming real close to its summit, but its all wooded and you would have to do a little bushwacking to score its peak. Then you walk to a saddle between the peaks( keep in mind that its thick woods and you cant see much of the surrounding mountains) eventually you come to a trail sign saying to the left is the summit of Mount Pleasant in .5 miles and to the right is the continuation of the loop trip. Hike up the spur trail going up between stunted trees till finally you come to another sign saying to the left is the east view and to the right is the west view. Check both or choose one, but either way you will have to search for a highpoint to pop up out of the trees for a sweet view of the thickly wooded Mountains. Enjoy the view then re-trace your steps back to the sign continue down through lush forest and complete the loop.

Essential Gear


On this hike you would need your normal 10 essentials plus lots of bug spray during summer, plenty of water during summer too. Winter could be another world, warm clothes and possible snow travel gear :snowshoes, snow pants, gaiters,ski jacket, etc.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.