Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.27507°N / 122.17365°W
Additional Information County: Skamania
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 4752 ft / 1448 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Saint Helens at Sunrise
Mount Saint Helens at Sunrise

Spirit Lake and Mount Adams
Spirit Lake and Mount Adams


Harry's Ridge lies to the west of Spirit Lake and North / North-East from Mount Saint Helens.  It is named after Harry Randall Truman who was made famous for refusing to leave his Mount Saint Helens Lodge at Spirit Lake during the evacuation period prior to the May 18th, 1980 eruption of Mount Saint Helens.  Harry was quoted as saying "If the mountain goes, I'm going with it." and that's exactly what happened.  Truman, his lodge, and his 16 cats were burried under 150 feet of volcanic landslide debris during the eruption of Mount Saint Helens.  His legacy lives on as Harry's Ridge and the near by Truman Trail were named after him.

Today the hike to Harry's Ridge offers excellent views of the blast zone of Mount Saint Helens, Spirit Lake, several surrounding peaks, and three Cascade volcanoes; Mount Saint Helens, Mount Adams, and Mount Hood.

Hood from Harry's Ridge
Hood from Harry's Ridge

Getting There

From I-5, drive to the junction of State Road 504 at Castle Rock (Exit 49). Exit the freeway, and turn east onto SR 504 and follow it east. After five miles you will pass the Silver Lake Visitor Center and in another 38 miles you will come to a junction where you will turn right onto SR504 E and follow it another 8 miles to the Johnston Ridge Observatory.  On a smart phone you can search for "Johnston Ridge Observatory" and use GPS Navigation to guide you there as well.


JRO from the Boundary Trail
Johnston Ridge Observatory from the Boundary Trail

Route

Take the Boundary Trail starting from the NE corner of the Johnston Ridge Observatory and begin hiking east.  Mount Saint Helens will be visible to hiker's right, visability permitting.  Hike the boundary trail for 3.5 miles until the turn off to Trail #208 which leads up to Harry's Ridge.

Saint Helens with Summer Flowers
Saint Helens with Summer Flowers

St. Helens Ash Pillows
St. Helens Ash Pillows


Total Distance (round trip) ~8 miles
Total Elevation gain (cumulative) ~800 feet

Harry's Ridge Trail Map
Harry's Ridge Trail Map


You can continue of past the summit down the other side of the ridge for better views of Spirit Lake.  The trail eventually peters out.  Please do not preceede any further than the trail to avoid damaging the delicate eco system and incuring a fine for being off trail.  This will add distance and elevation gain to your trip.  My GPS recorded 8.7 miles 1300 ft elevation gain doing this.


Harry's Ridge Summit PanoramaHarry's Ridge Summit Panorama - SCROLL RIGHT

Red Tape

As of 2016, hiking in the area requires and $8 day use fee per person.  Children under 15 are free.  A NW forest pass or America the Beautiful pass will suffice in place of the $8 fee.  Wrist bands can be obtained at the Johnston Ridge Observatory.  More information can be found HERE.

When to Climb

This is generally a Spring to Fall hike.  The road to the Johnston Ridge Observatory is closed from November until mid-May in most years.  Information about the current conditions can be found HERE.

July is a fantastic time to visit when the wildflowers are in their peak.

undefined
paintbrush

undefined
wild flowers

undefined
wild flower


Weather information from the NWS / NOAA can be found HERE.

Camping

I have seen campers on Harry's Ridge, mostly photographers.  Sunrise can be quite scenic but the area is also prone to high winds.  Camping in the Mount Margaret Backcountry requiers a permit which can be obtained at recreation.gov or by calling 1-877-444-6777.

Spirit Lake at Dawn
Spirit Lake at Dawn

St. Helens Blast Zone Sunrise
St. Helens Blast Zone Sunrise


Harry's Ridge at Sunrise
Harry's Ridge at Sunrise - Campers on the Left

External Links

The Washington Trails Association page for Harry's Ridge can be seen HERE
NWHiker page for the hike can be seen HERE
My trip report - HERE



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.