Horton Lakes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.29140°N / 118.6725°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Begin from the Horton Lakes Trailhead described on the main page.

From the gate, begin hiking along the old mining road as it switchbacks up into Horton Creek Canyon. Eventually the trail reaches some meadows, and then passes by some old mining equipment before reaching Horton Lake. By this point the mining road has become a trail and beyond this the trail becomes more feint and cross-country travel begins.

Route Description


Continue up the canyon on the north side of the river until the Upper Horton Lakes are reached. From here head to the south side of the lake and climb up the drainage to the east (left) of a large buttress. At the base of this buttress is the last lake passed on the route.

Continue up the drainage on the south side and bypass the glacier in this cirque, climbing the steep talus slope to the south to reach the large pleateau at 12,600' that joins Mt Humphreys, Four Gables, and South Basin Mountain. Sometimes there is still a stream here that is fed from snowmelt, providing a nice source to refill water.

Stats


Distance: TBA
Elevation Gain: TBA
Slope: TBA

Essential Gear


10 Essentials, Helmet

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.