Hourglass Gully Attempt 1-22-2011

Hourglass Gully Attempt 1-22-2011

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing

Why the album

My friend Greg and I gave Mt. Charleston a shot back in January via the Hourglass Gully. There isn't too much information about this route online so thats why I am posting this album. We didn't make the summit unfortunately. This was just a quick attempt to see if we could summit because we had to meet someone in Primm, Nevada at 3:00pm that day. We woke up at 3:00am, and left my 3:45am. I had pulled a muscle while climbing so I was moving slow getting ready.

There are really three parts to the Hourglass Gully Route; the draingage/gully (which is the part you hike up from the Mary Jane Falls TH), the steep snow section (transistion for the gully to the Hourglass Gully proper), and then the Hourglass Gully (the avy debre field, to the narrow couloir and then to the summit). Rock fall is very prevalent in this area! Dont not be in the gully in the afternoon! Also, there was a snow bridge when we were in the gully. If that wasn't there, there have to be some climbing involved (possibly class 4 (?).

We made good time to the steep snow area, but as soon as the sun hit this, the snow started getting soft. We got to the avy debre field around 11am and decided that we weren't making fast enough time and turned around. Because everything was melting fast, we did four rappels off of trees to get us through the unstable snow faster. We got back to our cars at 1pm.


Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.