Images of the Koenigssee

Images of the Koenigssee

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Scenery

The Lake of the Kings

This is a collection of photos I shot of one of the most truly majestic and fjord-like lakes in the entire Alps, the Königssee in the Berchtesgaden Alps. To the west, it is flanked by the famous east wall of the Watzmann (2713m), the largest wall in the Eastern Alps. To the east, by the mountains of the Hagengebirge. The peninsula of St. Bartholomä, where the famous baroque chapel was built, as well as Saletalm at the very tip of the lake are classical starting points for the big hikes in the Steinernes Meer. The Königssee has a length of 6,3 km, is 1,05 km wide and at it's deepest point it reaches a depth of 190 meters. Although situated in Bavaria, Germany, it is only 27 km south of the austrian city of Salzburg. The entire area around the Königssee and the peaks of Watzmann and Hochkalter is part of the National Park of Berchtesgaden, which is the reason why it is so preserved and in many places quite wild.
The lake itself is closed to all vessels except the public electro-boats of the Königssee-Schiffahrt, which connect Saletalm and St. Bartholomä with Schönau and thus with the rest of the world - there is no other way to get to these two places except by boat! - every half hour all year round (Saletalm is inaccessible in winter, though, as that end of the lake is iced up every year from November to April). These boats are also a very popular tourist attraction, not only for the scenery, but also for demonstrations of this kind!



Anybody who has photos of the Königssee and it's surroundings is very welcome to attach them to this album!

Yours truly,

EricChu

External Links

The Königssee on Wikipedia

Video

Enjoy a slideshow of the photos I took on March 27th, 2010 on Jenner and Königssee, accompanied by my own live recording of sonata no. 4 for piano solo op. 30 by Alexander Scriabin (Russian composer, lived from 1872 to 1915)!



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.