Viewing: 1-6 of 6
EastKing

EastKing - Oct 26, 2009 12:18 am - Voted 10/10

Turning around

Turning around when a summit is close but very dangerous and not worth the risk is the strongest strength of a climber. I turned around on Hood when things didn't seem right and got the summit a month later. Jolly Mountain was another mountain that hampered me a couple of times. In this sport you are often one step away from injury or death. Minimizing your chances of injury by waiting for a better day or going to another mountain is the right thing to do. After all there are only 6000 summits in Washington State alone and millions across the world. Why end on one!

You have a great sense of danger and it is the reason why you have had great success in climbing and have stayed injury free. Your focus on safety first, fun second and summit a distant third is why I climb with you.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Oct 26, 2009 12:40 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Turning around

I'm glad we hold the same safety standards in mountaineering. I couldn't agree with you more. Thanks for the comment.

Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - Nov 4, 2009 5:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Learned More

Learned more on the 'lost summit' trips than on the ones where I attained the goal. Some were lost by lack of preparation, some by lack of ability, some by failure of interpersonal skills. Great idea to catalog these.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Nov 5, 2009 4:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Learned More

Good point. I have spent a lot of time thinking about these summits that I just barely missed. There is much to be learned from failure. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

ericnoel

ericnoel - Feb 19, 2011 12:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Summit Attempts

Hi Gimpilator,
Just as an FYI in case it was something you had never seen you can also get an auto-generated version of this sort of list (sans SP links) at peakbagger:
http://www.peakbagger.com/report/report.aspx?r=u&cid=2650
The handy thing being that it lists both failed summit bids that have since been conquered as well as ones that remain to be visited again. And you can see the time spans. You may have already seen this, but I figured I would point it out just in case you hadn't.

-E

gimpilator

gimpilator - Mar 1, 2011 6:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Summit Attempts

Eric, thanks for including this link. I have seen the page, but I think it's a great idea to include a link to it on this site as well. I love PeakBagger! I must have spent 6 hours on there yesterday during a 19 hour drive back from the mountains in southern California.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Incomplete Summits' main page