Indian Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.04230°N / 75.3521°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1-2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This trail creates a loop from the summit that gives you a nice overview of what Camelback Mountain all has to offer. You get everything from wildlife, to views, to blueberries, to fire towers, to ski runs/lifts.

Getting There

From Harrisburg:
Take Interstate 81-north to just north of Hazleton, PA where it intersects Interstate 80. Take the exit for Interstate 80 east towards the Delaware Water Gap. Take exit 299 for Tannersville and follow the signs to Camelback Mountain.

From New York City:
Take Interstate 80 west towards the Delaware Water Gap. Cross the river into PA and continue west for approximately ten miles. Then take exit 299 for Tannersville and follow the signs to Camelback Mountain.

Entrance to the park is from PA 715 and Exit 299 of I-80 at Tannersville.

CAUTION: Steep grades. Visitors should not attempt this drive in vehicles with trailers in tow. Municipal road maintenance is not provided and seasonal closures of the access roadway will occur.

Route Description

This trail makes a loop around the summit and starts near the southern ski lift station which comes up from the water park. Take the road up to the fire tower at the top (which you are not allowed to go up). From here follow the trail along the ridge down hill a little bit. You will have great views on either side of you to the north, south, and west. Continue down the trail where you will cross the last big parking lot. At the north end of the lot you will find the sign for the Indian Trail. Head down the ridge along the trail and you will get a beautiful woods walk.

This trail is similar to the rest of PA's trails though as it is extrememly rocky and adds to the Rocksylvania name. Before long you will reach a rocky outcropping on a ledge which is about thirty yards long on the north end of the mountain. From here you can take in views in a 270 degree panorama which includes the Delaware Water Gap. Also, at these ledges there are blueberry bushes all over the place. Sit down next to a bush, kick your feet up, and relax while you take in the view and eat some blueberries. This is one of my favorite spots in all of Pennyslvania as your view encompasses three states; New York, New Jersey, and PA. Continue on the trail where it gets a little rockier as you head back up towards the summit. The loop is 2.2 miles round-trip.

Essential Gear

Comfortable hiking shoes, water/baskets for berries, and a camera.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.