Viewing: 1-20 of 45
Tomek Lodowy

Tomek Lodowy - Jan 21, 2007 10:06 am - Voted 10/10

Fantastic report

It would be great to visit all these places someday, great story and beatiful photos, thanks!

nader

nader - Jan 22, 2007 12:38 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Fantastic report

Thank You, Tomek. There are so many great places to go & so little time. Perhaps someday I will be able to visit your Tatras!

palic

palic - Jan 23, 2007 1:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Fantastic report

:-) Vysoke Tatry are mostly in Slovakia, only part is in Poland

nader

nader - Jan 24, 2007 1:37 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Fantastic report

Thank you for the correction Palic. I first heard about the Tatras Mountains (spelling?) in the mid 1970s when I first began to ski (I was in 7th grade). Had a self learner ski book, at the end of which there were pictures of ski slopes from around the world. One page was about East Europe. (Click here to see that page. I marked the one for Tatras Mountains. The rest of the pictures seem to be in the old Soviet Union).

Now that I look at the world atlas, I only see The Carpathian Mountains on the Slovak/Polish border. They only mark a peak and a park as "Tatry". Of course your own SP page is most informative.

palic

palic - Feb 8, 2007 6:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Fantastic report

Hi Nader, spelling is Vysoke Tatry in the same manner as it is written. Upsss, this book is really great! On the left, this is for sure Cheget in Kaukaz, on the right up Tatry (Vysoke or Nizke, I do not know), two pictures crowded with people are hard to recognize :-(

palic

palic - Feb 8, 2007 6:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Fantastic report

some pictures from Vysoke Tatry, end of December 2006 http://www.ho-vsetin.com/view.php?cisloclanku=2007010201
http://www.ho-vsetin.com/gallery.php?akce=galerie_ukaz&galerie_id=9

nader

nader - Jan 22, 2007 12:31 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Incredible!

Thank You. Each trip has been a truly great experience. Sounds like you're no stranger to navigating dense forest -- both on Olympic Peninsula & the Bengal area. Did you have to worry about tigers? Presume they can be a bit more intimidating than shephard dogs?!

Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Jan 21, 2007 5:37 pm - Voted 10/10

Great Read!

Loved the personal flavoring of your experience, your unbiased observation of the culture and contrasts to life in the USA. I read this report realizing that climbing is much like music. It is a universal language that is easy to understand. Despite different cultures, folks meeting in the mountains can immediately connect because of their common interest-a loving passion for the mountains. Iran is a beautiful country, too. This reality is contrary to what people's perception might usually be: dry and desolate. So this report is enlightening in that regard. SP is a great window to our world. Thanks for opening that window a little wider!

nader

nader - Jan 22, 2007 1:02 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Read!

Thank You, Aaron. You are so right - Music & Mountains are indeed complementary. I used to connect a CD-player to my camcorder when hiking in the San Juans. Many pieces were pre-selected based upon anticipated views. I would listen to a particular piece of music months prior to my trip and anticipate the scenes that I might encounter that would go well.

SP has provided an incredible opportunity to share our experiences & open eyes to parts of the world we'd otherwise never get to see. It's a little ironic that folks from Iran, Singapore etc. have called "some guy" in Janesville WI to ask about the mountains in Iran.

Corax

Corax - Jan 22, 2007 11:25 pm - Voted 10/10

A great read

When I read a story like this one and see all the nice photos, I feel I just have to go back to Iran one day. Had a great time when there and I'm 100% sure I'll have it again.

nader

nader - Jan 24, 2007 1:10 am - Hasn't voted

Re: A great read

Thank you for your kind words Corax. Hearing it from someone who has seemingly travelled all over the world means a lot.

palic

palic - Jan 23, 2007 1:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Really cool trip report!

Nader, this is really excellent work! Great trip, great description, great photos. Just a pity, that there are not better maps in Iran :-(

nader

nader - Jan 24, 2007 1:16 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Really cool trip report!

Thank you Palic. The 1:50 000 Iranian maps (a part of which I once e-mailed you) are the most accurate. I have the maps for most of Central Alborz. If you need to see any of them, let me know. The old Soviet maps are good too.

palic

palic - Feb 8, 2007 6:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Really cool trip report!

Hi Nader, I have this piece of map from you for east side of Damavand. For a pity, all is written in Persian, and I am only a little familiar with it. Secondly, I do not have access to old Soviet map for this area (just former USSR countries). I am planning to go to Iran probably in April 2007.

nader

nader - Feb 8, 2007 8:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Really cool trip report!

Hi Palic:

Let me know how your trip went. If you tell me where exactly you are going, I can send you whatever map I have. Although the Iranian maps are in Farsi, all the numbers are in English so you should be able to read the elevations. I can even mark the maps for you myself.

You can buy the Soviet maps at "Omnimap.com". I bought a few pieces 3-4 years ago. Select the map you want from this grid:

Grid

They will e-mail the map as soon as you punch in a credit card number.

Nader

nurettin

nurettin - Jan 23, 2007 2:14 pm - Voted 10/10

First class...

...report nader! Thanks for this nice job.

nader

nader - Jan 24, 2007 1:41 am - Hasn't voted

Re: First class...

Thank you nurettin. I have enjoyed your great pics of Damavand, especially the "Yellow Flowers Peak" shot.

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Jan 23, 2007 3:04 pm - Hasn't voted

amazing trip

Sounds great, thanks for sharing this experience with us!

nader

nader - Jan 24, 2007 1:45 am - Hasn't voted

Re: amazing trip

Thank you for reading the report. Appreciate your encouragement.

nader

nader - Jan 24, 2007 1:52 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Neat photos

Thanks for reading. The difference between the deserty southern slopes and the forested northern slopes is amazing.

Cool Profile Photo on your page!

Viewing: 1-20 of 45
Return to 'IRAN--Snowy Summits to Steamy Forests' main page