Viewing: 1-10 of 10
markhallam

markhallam - Jun 1, 2013 1:57 am - Voted 10/10

Best one yet!

What a great thing, climbing both the Huascarans - and, in the end, both of them solo on the summit day! And what with Ilampu & Ancohuma you have certainly collected some very fine Andean peaks.

Finally - welcome to the 22,000 club! (I know you will be a meters-man but Huascaran Sur does I believe top 22,000ft)

best wishes - and heres to our plans for some 15,000ers in a few weeks time!
Mark

rgg

rgg - Jun 1, 2013 10:15 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Best one yet!

Yep, you're right, when it comes to feet: I've got two myself, but when it comes to elevations, I usually think in meters.
That said, should I now go look for a mountain topping 23,000 feet?

jdenyes - Jun 2, 2013 11:28 am - Voted 9/10

very motivational :-)

I have enjoyed reading all of these extended trip reports :-), down to earth, entertaining, with enough detail and enough cool feats to ensure an awesome read. I'm currently inching my way back to the mountains after a hip surgery, and I really really found the stories and adventures motivational, thanks so much for sharing!!!!

rgg

rgg - Jun 2, 2013 12:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: very motivational :-)

I'm glad you like 'em. I've got one more in the pipeline, and I plan to get it finished soon, before I'm off again.
I wish you a speedy recovery, so you can get out there yourself. See you in the mountains, somewhere, someday!

Norris

Norris - Jun 2, 2013 11:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Outstanding, thanks!

I'm really enjoying these trip reports, especially since I'm planning to climb Huascaran in July, albeit with a group, not solo! Keep 'em coming!

rgg

rgg - Jun 3, 2013 6:34 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Outstanding, thanks!

Well, I didn't plan on soloing either, but that's just the thing with plans: sometimes reality interferes up and then you have to adapt. I judged it to be an acceptable risk. I had some doubts at the start, but after meeting the other climbers half way up, who said that they hadn't seen many crevasses, I was optimistic. Still, whether or not to go solo on a glacier route in the first place is a very personal call.
Good luck on your upcoming climb!

atavist

atavist - Jun 3, 2013 3:22 am - Hasn't voted

Nice photos and memories

Been about 12 years since I climbed Huascaran.

rgg

rgg - Jun 3, 2013 6:38 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice photos and memories

I know what you mean about memories - I like reading other people's experiences on routes that I've climbed too.

albanberg

albanberg - Jun 8, 2013 12:09 pm - Voted 10/10

Really cool...

What a great trip you had. I hope to get up there sometime!

rgg

rgg - Jun 10, 2013 12:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Really cool...

Thanks, it certainly was memorable. And I hope to get back up there too! Even though I climbed most of the popular routes in the Cordillera Blanca in 2011, there are still enough left for a few more weeks of fun.
Besides that, there are many more routes that are climbed much less frequently that I would love to have a go at, provided I find the right partner for it.

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'Is there a mutated strain of contagious summit fever on Huascarán? - Four months in Peru, Part XII' main page