Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Nov 18, 2012 11:23 am - Voted 10/10

Still haven't got over...

... meeting you guy up on Desseada without noticing it. We've been to the Canaries in the last two winters as well and experienced much better weather. The season 2009 / 2010 still ranks memorably among people living on the islands. Our hosts on Gran Canaria last year told us they had water shooting out of the power sockets during the storms.

Less than friendly hotel staff - I recall that you asked about child-friendly hotels on the Canaries some time before you went. I don't recall my answer but must say your experience doesn't surprise me. We have decided to look for holiday homes on the islands (courtesy of Google) and while we have to cook ourselves it has turned out to be a much nicer experience. Hosts feel much more responsible about the fincas they let and often you are invited to a bottle of wine, cakes, coffee, fruit, whatever.

Scott

Scott - Nov 20, 2012 2:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Still haven't got over...

meeting you guy up on Desseada without noticing it.

Yes, maybe someday though. Even worse, before we took this trip, I was going to PM you for recommendations. I should have done that!


Less than friendly hotel staff - I recall that you asked about child-friendly hotels on the Canaries some time before you went. I don't recall my answer but must say your experience doesn't surprise me.

Luckily it was only the first place; the other places were good. If we went again, we would rent a place on one island, rather than trying to visit four islands in one trip.

darinchadwick

darinchadwick - Nov 21, 2012 8:52 am - Voted 10/10

Inspired...

to see what you are doing with the kids. Our first trip to the Canaries was also a wash-out, though not as dramatic a storm as yours. We're heading there for Christmas break this year for a second try, hopefully we can take the kiddies on something as well. Thanks for the entertaining trip report.

Silvia Mazzani

Silvia Mazzani - Nov 22, 2012 9:14 am - Voted 10/10

Amusing trip report!

It remembers me an agitated trip to Kenya in 1989 - same period, the Christmas holidays - during which, amongst flies delated, lost baggages doing a tour round the world, all the bad lucks happened!

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Islas Canarias-Fun in the Sun or Pain in Spain?' main page