Izpegui

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.22820°N / 1.3784°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See the main page to approach to col de Izpegui

Route Description

Trailhead: puerto (col) de Izpegui, in the road from Erratzu to Baigorri (670m).
Time: 2h45min to summit.

This is the classic itinerary to Iparla across the long ridge with a lot of summits. Some of the summits are complementary but anothers are obligated to follow the route.
In north direction we leave the parking of Izpegui to the near Kuarteleko Kaskoa (820m), the first little summit of the first ridge. In this point we have 2 possibilities, we can descend walking parallels to the ridge by a path or to go for the edge of the ridge passing for the two small rocky tops of Larremear (804m) and the cone of Tuturru (834m). For both walks we reach one of the first col, the col of Aintziaga (775m)
In right side (east) is the little summit of Aintziaga / Pausugaiz(904m) in 10 minutes. Many of this peaks had 2 names due to that are border between France and Spain and they can have different name in each country.
The route turn to left side (nortwest) following the red-white marks of GR-20 to the great slope of Lauordena / Buztanzelai (1029m), the first mountain important of the second ridge, with a great cairn of stones in the summit. After a little descend we reach another summit, the spun of Ubedo / Astate (1021m). The ridge is very wide in this area an the walk is very easy with a good landscape to reach Atalazko Kaskoa (987m) before a new descend across the forest to the important col of Arieta (811m).
The path goes up to the north to the third ridge with the peak Tutulia (983m) with a marvel view of east wall of Iparla and the valley of Baigorri. We leave the summit to walk to another little col and bordering for the left side we reach the last line of the ridge across the little presummit (Mendizargai, 1039m, with a great cairn) and finally the wide summit of Iparla (1049m) with a geodesic vertex.

The return is for the same route, but you can evitate some of the summits.


Essential Gear

Nothing special. In winter crampons and ice-axe (the fall of the ridge is a little impressive but the snow conditions it's not really difficult)

Summits

some pictures of the summits of the long ridge of Iparla


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

IparlaRoutes