Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 31.69237°N / 110.86786°W
Additional Information County: Santa Cruz
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7448 ft / 2270 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Jack Mountain is one of the lesser known peaks in this area known as Madera Canyon. That being said, if you're a peak bagger, you should add it to your list. It's located in the Wrightson Wilderness Area so it's a great place to find silence and solitude. The hike up is fairly easy as it uses the well groomed Old Baldy Trail which takes you almost to the summit. There's a bit of bushwacking at the end. The views are not sensational as it's mostly covered in trees and brush.

Getting There

Take Interstate 10 to Exit 63 Madera Canyon / Continental Road. Turn east on Continental Road and continue eastward on E. Whitehouse Canyon Road / Madera Canyon Road to S. Madera Canyon Road to it's terminus. There's plenty of paved parking at the trailhead.

Route

Take the Old Baldy Trail to the Josephine Saddle. There's a well signed trail intersection here. You'll want to head right at the trail intersection. Now hike approximately one mile until the trail begins to wrap around the peak. Then just bushwack your way to the summit.

Red Tape

There's a $8 daily user fee to park at the trailhead.

When to Climb

I climbed it in the dead of winter. There was some snow but it's not steep and I believe that anyone could summit this little peak anytime of the year.

Camping

There's a campground within a few miles of the trailhead. There's also tons of BLM dispersed camping just before you enter the actual limits of Madera Canyon. 

External Links

Add External Links text here.