Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.08347°N / 113.79557°W
Additional Information County: Washington
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6526 ft / 1989 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Jarvis Peak is located in the Beaver Dam Wash National Conservation Area. This climb is fairly steep, especially the last section of the climb. The peak is rocky with lots of steep cliffs to work your way through. But it's all well worth the effort cause the summit views are outstanding. And generally speaking, few people come here so more than likely, you'll have the mountain to yourself (as we did).

Getting There

From St. George, Utah, take Old Highway 91 west out of town. When you come to the mountain pass look for South Utah Hill Road on your left. Follow this bumpy, unimproved BLM road for approximately 2 miles. When you come to the first U turn in the road, I'd suggest you park here. There's a small, flat cleared area to leave your vehicle. I think most 2 wheel drive vehicles could make it to this point. Do not go beyond. I have a Jeep, parked here, and I was glad that I did. The road further on is in terrible shape.

Route

From the parking area that I just described, hike approximately one mile further up the road. Look for a small cairn on the left side of the road. Note that it's easy to miss (I missed it). From here there's an obvious trail along the ridgeline, but that trail disappears fairly quickly. Stay on the ridgeline as best as you can until the steepest part of the climb towards the end of the climb. Once you reach the obvious cliffs which are more to your right, stay left and work your way up through the cliffs and rock slabs. There's a summit register which I did not sign nor even bother to open. It's easily seen in the rocks at the summit. Plan approximately 3.5 hours for the roundtrip climb. 5.3 miles roundtrip starting at Old Highway 91 with 1,765' of elevation gain (distance is taken from the AllTrails ap.).

Red Tape

There's no red tape / permits required.

When to Climb

Climb year round. 

Camping

There's plenty of free camping in Beaver Dam Wash National Conservation Area. The BLM has established designated sites with fire rings and site posts marking allowed camp sites. There are also plenty of other dispersed sites throughout the area. Most of this area has excellent cell phone service unless you find yourself wandering in the canyons (which is a great way to spend a day).

External Links

Add External Links text here.