Viewing: 1-13 of 13
dakotaconcrete

dakotaconcrete - Aug 8, 2010 12:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Those Pipes???

You really got me wondering where that photo was taken at??? Nice article, I've always admired Otto's history relating to the Mounument's inception.

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Aug 10, 2010 8:29 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Those Pipes???

Those pipes are not there anymore... but the whole make the route easier to climb, otherwise it would be rated as much more difficult route.

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Aug 11, 2010 4:42 am - Hasn't voted

yep

umhm. ]

Sloan

Sloan - Aug 12, 2010 11:28 am - Voted 10/10

excellent

I learned something new today. I'm going to have to check that book out and give it read. Thanks for creating the page.

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Aug 13, 2010 3:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: excellent

Thanks Sloan. I like learning too, especially things that relate to my area. Though, John Otto is an interesting and strong character. Alan's book is excellent. I think Amazon would be the easiest place to purchase. Grand Junction bookstores have them in stock, perhaps other Colorado and maybe Utah stores would as well.

Brian C

Brian C - Aug 15, 2010 12:18 pm - Voted 10/10

Go John Otto!

I am from Junction originally and have also quested after some of Otto's routes. It really is amazing what he accomplished on the Monument. I am definitely going to have to check out window pane arch now. I've hiked all of no thoroughfare a few times and never noticed it. Thanks for the nice write up!

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Aug 16, 2010 12:56 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Go John Otto!

thanks for noticing and encouragement. I sometimes hope that there is a grander meaning for "our" valley than just the Junction of two rivers...

Come back by and visit sometime, I wrote my account of the Window Pane Arch last fall... basically turn right just above the first high falls. Go up the drainage to near its end and get up in the major "cleft" in the right or north wall of the upper canyon.

TrailingOtto

TrailingOtto - Aug 18, 2010 12:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Trailing Otto

Seth, It's good to see you're using your down time to do some writing, I hope you're healing well. Thanks for promoting America's Greatest Folk Hero, John Otto. The Legacy of John Otto is too big to be ignored and too true to be turned into a mere legend. PBS is working on a documentary that will be out in the Fall. At www.JohnOtto.org people can tune in to see events going on to explore John Otto in the Monument in 2010. We are identifying "Ottofacts" of John's that are still visible along trails and in the red rock canyon walls. I would definitely recommend Alan J Kanias books www.JohnOttoBook.com.

Look forward to seeing you back out in the canyons soon Seth.

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Aug 31, 2010 4:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Trailing Otto

Yeah!!! I just tried to get Ken Burn's group to cooperate / get involved with involved / Nat Geo channel and or A&E affiliates to tell John Otto's heroic story. I got the fastest blow-off in years... too busy to even look into it- I look forward to seeing PBS's John Otto story!

Brian C

Brian C - Dec 21, 2010 9:23 am - Voted 10/10

CCC

I was reading this again and am back in GJ and wondered it you know anything about the CCC camp locations and where the original entrance to the monument was.

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Dec 21, 2010 2:45 pm - Hasn't voted

CCC above Monument Canyon TH

Ranger Bill Rogers suggested to me that a huge CCC camp was along the Black Ridge Trail just above the TH shared with upper Monument Canyon TH. The Rim Rock road is closed from upper Liberty Cap TH to Monument View, so a scenic walk would be required until March to see the area. There may be some car carcasses, perhaps some outlines of the walls. I didn't see much in the area but I didn't investigate long. Good luck!

Brian C

Brian C - Dec 21, 2010 8:00 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: CCC above Monument Canyon TH

Thanks. I've noticed some odd paddocks in residential areas by the white rocks and along the Monument fence and was told that it was a cistern for a CCC camp. Just wondered.

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Dec 22, 2010 2:09 pm - Hasn't voted

paddocks

I've noticed those. A very cool and extensive set-up cistern is surrounded by a high fence (open gate) straight above the White Rocks, just under the "Corner Tower" of Gold Stay Canyon.

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Return to 'John Otto- Colorado National Monument Founder's Bold Legacy' main page