Kastro Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-4 of 4

boutin - Jun 19, 2008 10:13 am - Hasn't voted

Anavasi Maps

There are now excellent 1:25000 maps of lefka ori (Anavasi, both paper & electronic). With a gps the're fine additions.
I would say the easiest & fastest way is not along ridges (following the E4), but and according to the Loraine guide (the white mountains, cicerone new edition this summer) to take a 280° west bearing from the plateau directly into a reentrant. It is not waymarked but there are some cairns, a bit of scrambling at places. Instructions in the guide are clear enough.

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Jun 19, 2008 11:00 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Anavasi Maps

Thanks for the info. I think the route you are referring sounds like my Central eastern ridge route. It is certainly the shortest route to the summit but I wouldn't call it the easiest one. But maybe I misinterpret your comment ...

boutin - Jun 20, 2008 2:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Anavasi Maps

Hi,
it's the route with some rock scrambling needed at the beginning and also a bit later on, and the one described in Loraine Wilson's guide. Easiest? well there'no path but other routes are longer and terrain is not easier in my opinion.
Anyway, I'm looking for info, all kind of tips, on the Livada to Niato E4 stage. Any chance you did that one?

Regards

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Jun 21, 2008 6:20 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Anavasi Maps

I'm afraid not. I happened to hike parts of E4 but always with some close objective in mind (like Melindaou, Kastro, Psiloritis). So I don't have any info on your stage. Also, information about E4 is rare on the web. Good luck anyway!

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Kastro' main page