Klek / Hahnkogel SE ski tour

Klek / Hahnkogel SE ski tour

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.48513°N / 14.02481°E
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: PD-
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Klek / Hahnkogel from the Rožca saddle
Klek / Hahnkogel from the Rožca saddle

It's one of the popular ski tours in the area west of Golica / Kahlkogel mountain. Very nice in the upper part, a bit dense forest in the lower part. But also short (due to a good starting point) and fairly easy.

In the upper part also a small round tour can be done, or, you can combine this tour withe the ski tour from the nearby Hruški vrh.

This description is perfectly suitable also for the ascent in summer conditions.

Getting There

The trail head is Planina pod Golico, a village which has also bus connection with Jesenice town. As most people come with private cars, the advice is to park near the church. But there are only a few parking places. Further down below the church, near the Beli potok (creek) there are two more places. Lat:46,467459° (46°28'03"), Lon:14,049194° (14°02'57").

The other variant (recommendable if the road is cleaned) starts 100 m of altitude higher in the valley of Beli potok - in the locality, called Menten, 1010 m. The coordinates are: Lat: 46,475086° (46°28'30"), Lon: 14,050268° (14°03'01").

General characteristics

Jeseniška planina
Jeseniška planina - Klek's S ravine
Jeseniška planina
Jeseniška planina from the NW

Difficulty. The overall grading should be PD- (less difficult). Parts of the upper slopes are steep, but not exposed. The rest is easy - some ideal slopes, then a stretch of easy mountain road and below some a bit dense woods, where it's nice to have good snow conditions.

Orientation. It's quite easy, because up to the Jeseniška planina (meadow) we follow summer marks (which are mostly on trees). Some key orientation points are shown on the embedded map below.

Times. For ascent allow 3 h 30 min, for skiing down 2 h is enough. In summer conditions it would be 3 h for ascent only. In the lower part you usualy don't go up skinning. If you do in the upper part (above the Jeseniška planina) a small round tour, then it's some 30 min more. The total altitude gain is 842 m (from 912 m to 1754 m), there are only some slight ups and downs. The shortest distance to cover is 4.39 km.

Jeseniška planina
Jeseniška planina

Objective dangers. In the steep valley above Jeseniška planina (meadow) there's danger of avalanche. The channel is south oriented, so snow can be warmed through and if it's in big quantities, the danger is that everything goes down. The rest of the tour is quite safe.

Best season. It's a winter tour and if there's enough snow we can also do it in early spring. So, approximately the months DEC, JAN, FEB, MAR (APR).

Best time of a day. When planning skiing, have in mind the upper slopes, oriented directly towards the south. If it's cold, you can do the tour any time of a day, if it's warm, come very early.

Route Description

See full screen

From the church you continue by a narrow asphalted road down to the creek, and there right over the bridge. Then 130 m up along the valley. There's a house and the plate, saying: "Rožca". That's the saddle SW of Klek, so deter (on 914 m) left and follow the marked path up.

The path goes up by a few forested ravines and higher through less dense woods - always towards the NW. On 1121 m you hit a forest road and cross it. After a steeper section you reach a forested ridge where you turn right. After only less than 50 m be careful (when ascending in snow) - on 1216 m you must leave a weak cart-road and deter left (red mark on a tree). (Continuing by the cart-road would mean ascending the summit of Klek/Hahnkogel by the eastern variant!) The next route section goes across forested slopes slightly down. On 1188 m you cross a small water stream and hit another forest road.

Now you continue in the same direction, following the mountain road. Higher it turns into a cart-road and in good 30 minutes you reach by it the nice alpine meadow - Jeseniška planina (1380 m). There you have the following options:

1. Direct ascent. You continue northwards, along a pathless, shallow, but higher steep, grassy valley/channel. Higher, you best try to exit it towards the right. You hit the SE ridge of Klek / Hahnkogel approximately on the place, where also the marked path (coming from Rožca saddle) traverses it. From there continue by the summit ridge towards the NW and at the end towards the W. The last meters are overgrown by dwarf pines.

Crossroads S-SW of Klek
Crossroads S-SW of Klek

2. Continue by the marked path. You simply continue ascending towards the NW, in many switchbacks gaining altitude quickly. On 1578 m (so after another 30 min) you get on the marked crossroads (plates). From there, you can:

2a. Continue straight up (northwards), gain the SW ridge and continue by it to the summit.

2b. Turn right and traverse the S slopes of Klek, finally gaining its SE summit ridge where you leave the marked path. Ascend the summit as on variant 1.

2c. Go left on the Rožca saddle - it's only a short, horizontal traverse til there. On the Rožca saddle you then turn right and ascend the summit of Klek / Hahnkogel by its SW ridge. In summer there's a weak trail, in winter conditions the ascent is more demanding (usually not trodden).

Skiing down. You best follow the ascent route No. 1, so skiing by the SE summit ridge, then into the grassy valley southwards to Jeseniška planina. If you want to reach from there your car in Planina pod Golico, you best follow down the original ascent route - first the mountain road, then the forested descent. The last part down to the Beli potok (creek) can be done also via the Menten locality. You can also take other directions, but not to the original parking place.

Essential Gear

Only normal gear for tour skiing. Online maps are sufficient, but make sure you have them available on your phone off line.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.