KV Hiker Woodward Peak 04-04-2009

KV Hiker Woodward Peak 04-04-2009

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 35.64417°N / 118.5808°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 4, 2009
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall

KV Hiker Woodward Peak 04-04-2009

Woodward Peak 04-04-2009The terrain is beautiful on the way to Woodward Peak. 04-04-2009.

Trip Report: The Rancheria Road Scouting Expedition


I went on a scouting expedition that began at the bottom of Rancheria Rd. (RH) in Rio Bravo, and ended at Evans Flat Campground on the Greenhorn summit. It was cool in the morning, and it blossomed into a clear, warm spring day.

Our first destination was the Oak Flat Lookout, and Saturday Peak. We drove 14.7 miles up Rancheria Road and parked. We bushwhacked .5 miles with an elevation gain of 450 feet to the Lookout (most people just drive though or take the trail). We were able to climb to the top of the lookout this time, and the view was amazing. We went down, and took the Badger Gap trail towards Saturday peak. The wildflowers were everywhere, and we saw many types of raptor birds of prey enjoying the oaks. We reached the peak above Saturday peak where there is a radio tower, and then we headed back to the vehicle. This portion of the scouting expedition was 4 miles round trip with an elevation gain of 1200 feet.

We passed several landmarks as we headed towards our next destination which was Rough and Ready Mountain.

14.9 miles from RH: Road 27S20.
16.1 miles from RH: A small campground, and the trailhead for Badger Gap Trail.
20.7 miles from RH: Poso Flat Road.
22.3 miles from RH: Basket Pass Rd.
22.6 miles from RH: Davis camp. There are two parts to Davis camp, and the TH for the Black Gulch 4x4 trail is here also.

We parked at the 1st part of Davis Camp, and then climbed through a lush pine forest to the summit of Rough and Ready Mountain. We headed down to Quartz Mountain from there, but the terrain became bushwhack central when we hiked below the pine trees. We decided that it would be better to approach Quartz Mountain using the Black Gulch 4WD trail, and then to use the road that climbs the East side. This segment was 4 miles RT with an elevation gain of 1700 feet.

After returning to our vehicle we made our way towards Evans Flat Campground and Woodward Peak. We passed more landmarks on the road.

24 miles from RH: Bradshaw Creek Rd.
24.2 miles from RH: Locked Gate.

Woodward Peak
After reaching the locked gate we continued on foot to the Evans Flat campground (1.1 miles). The campground is very nice, and it has a bathroom. We followed the road that goes through the middle of it and started climbing to Woodward Peak. Evans Flat is beautiful, and the forest was a welcome site and fantastic on this spring day. This section was 3.75 miles RT with 1100 feet of elevation gain.

The total distance was 11.75 miles with an elevation gain of 4000 feet.

Pictures and Information for Woodward Peak

Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Woodward PeakTrip Reports