Kyle from the North

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.34994°N / 115.48339°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This hike is very straight forward. The first half is across the open desert. Then you reach the ridge line and have a few choices of ridges to take to the summit. Total distance is about 1.32 miles (2.64 round trip) and 830 feet of elevation gain.

Kyle Peak Elevation Profile

Getting There

From Las Vegas take HWY 95 north. When you get to Exit 93 set your odometer to zero.

At 2.5 miles you will drive by the turnoff for Mt. Charleston. Keep going straight.

At 16.5 miles you will see the sign for Corn Creek Road. It is a brown sign on the east side of the highway near mile marker 101. Start slowing down and get ready to make a left turn.

At 16.7 miles turn left at the turn off for Corn Creek Road, you will have to drive about 50 feet the wrong way on HWY 95 before you turn left onto the dirt road.

From here reset your odometer to zero.

Drive on the dirt road for 1.9 miles and take the left fork.

After this continue driving down for a total of 6.4 miles and look for a place to park on the right side of the dirt road right next to a power pull. This is where you park.

The Road up to this point is in great condition, a passenger car could make it!

Route Description

Kyle Peak GPS TraceGPS Trace of Route


WPT 1 36°21'42.2"N, 115°29'51.8"W Park 4922 feet
WPT 2 36°21'22.6"N, 115°29'21.7"W Start of Ridge 4920 feet
WPT 3 36°20'59.8"N, 115°29'00.2"W Summit 5751 feet

It’s a straight hike across the desert floor for about 0.65 miles. Then you have a choice of a few ridges in front of you on the North/NE side of Kyle Peak. There are some easy class 3 sections on the way. The entire 830 feet of elevation gain starts right here. It’s about 0.7 miles up to the summit.

To return retrace your steps.














Essential Gear

Good Hiking boots. There is not much desert brush, so you should be able to wear shorts if the weather is mild or warm.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Kyle PeakRoutes