La Plata Mountains Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Supermonkey2499

Supermonkey2499 - Oct 12, 2019 11:32 am Date Climbed: May 10, 2019

Babcock Peak  Sucess!

I had seen Babcock peak from the La Plata river camp sites since last year, but I hadn't explored it much. one day I went on a short hike in the Boren Basin, just wandering, I saw the peak, and knew I had to come back more prepared and give it a shot. it was early may, so there was still a lot of snowpack, I'd say at least 4 foot in spots in the basin. I researched the route to the summit in a book "San Juan Mountains a Climbing and Hiking Guide. by R. Rosebrough" Then I proceeded to completely forget everything I had read. I had no crampons, an Ice axe, a (heavy) 60M rope, with nuts and alpine draws, but no partner. I was a mess. To get to the basin I drove up the main La Plata Canyon road till I got to the turn off to the Boren creek drainage OHV trail. I was driving a Toyota Camry at the time, so I only got a quarter of the way up the road. From there I followed the ATV trail on foot till I got to the snowpack, then continued up the trail till I got to the Boren Basin. In the Basin I set up camp high on the right side of the basin, with a great view of Babcock peak. and the rest of the basin. The next morning I woke up at around 5:30, ate breakfast and started hiking. Beware of the snow bridges around this early area, I almost fell in one if not for the sound of rushing water under my feet. as I was going up the right Coulier it got significantly steeper, to the point where I was cutting footholds into the snow with my ice ax. I traversed left towards rocky outcroppings sticking out from the snowpack for better footing, these rocks are very loose, but make a good scramble, and some class 3 fun. Once up on the ridge, I traversed the Knife edge by scooting on my butt across to the peak. This was terrifying. On the summit I found an ammo box with paper and pencil. I left some whisky for the next party to ascend. on the way down I used my rope to repel, and thus completely lost my way down, I had no idea what I was doing, and got my rope stuck, tangled, and eventually repelled myself off the side of a cliff. At this point I had to climb back up to a point where I could re-asses my situation, and repel down the correct coulier. Once I was below any significant cliffs, I slid on my butt down the rest of the snowpack slowing myself with my ice ax. I finished off the climb with a photo of me (my profile pic). In total, the hike to my base camp took, 2ish hours. From base camp I started around 6:00am summited around noon-ish and got back to my base camp around 4:00pm-ish. Overall for my first 13,000 foot peak, and my first mountaineering journey, it inspired a great deal of respect and care in my approach to mountains. absolutely my favorite adventure so far in my life!

TL;DR a great peak, super fun, did in 4 foot snow pack, would highly recommend

Foxy Long Bottoms

Foxy Long Bottoms - Aug 21, 2017 11:28 pm Date Climbed: Nov 28, 2022

Various  Sucess!

New to the area. Just starting on the La Platas. Keeping track here.

Cumberland
Deadwood
Silver
Kennebec Peak
Madden Peak
Gibbs Peak
Star Peak
Indian Trail Ridge
Diorite Peak
Snowstorm
Parrot Peak
Helmet Peak
Centennial Peak
Pt. 11,949
Mt. Moss
Burro Mountain
Bald Knob
Olga Little Mountain
Sliderock Mountain
Cape Horn
Monument Hill
Red Hill

LadyWawa

LadyWawa - Nov 24, 2011 8:57 am Date Climbed: Oct 10, 2011

Wonderful Range

Awesome peaks in this area!

trevycas

trevycas - Jun 29, 2011 6:23 pm Date Climbed: Sep 16, 2008

Nice, fast hike  Sucess!

Wonderfully fast, direct ascent up W ridge from Sharkstooth TH. Perfect weather, summit in under 2 hours!

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'La Plata Mountains' main page