Lawn Lake Comments

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Nov 15, 2009 9:52 am - Voted 10/10

Winter 2009 "crux"

About half-way above the campgrounds to the Black Canyon junction, there's a very large tree fall on the trail. Normally this would be unremarkable, but the tree has fallen in a way to completely obscure a switchback. So it *looks* as if the trail should continue to go forward, but you won't find the trail there.

When you hit the tree, look upslope and behind you and it's easy to see the switchback. This took me longer to figure out than it should have.

I suspect the trail crews won't clear this until spring 2010.

Nelson

Nelson - Nov 15, 2009 11:48 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Winter 2009 crux

Thanks for the update. There has been an uptick in fallen trees recently, partially related to the beetle infestation. Two hikers were struck by a falling tree in Wild Basin in November, 2007. One died from his injuries.

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Nov 15, 2009 1:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Winter 2009 crux

When adding a photo I noticed another thing -- this page and a bunch of other RMNP pages have an east longitude instead of west, so they show up as being in China.

Nelson

Nelson - Nov 15, 2009 3:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Winter 2009 crux

Well, I'm quite sure they are not in China, in spite of what it might say on the Internet...

Thanks for the info, I'll find and fix the pages.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Lawn Lake' main page