Nelson

Offline

A Little About Me

I enjoy non-technical, off-the-beaten-path scrambles and rambles. No goals or lists, just enjoy being in the backcountry. Will return to the same place again and again, it's always new. Have been known to stop for a minute to examine a bird or flower. I don't move real fast.


Quote from Charles Lind, An Afterclap of Fate

At moments like this you can really savour the wry humour of Donald Robertson's remark 'climbers are always trying in self-defence to maintain the fiction that they are enjoying themselves'.

Mummery was surely right in his observation that 'the essence of the sport, lies not in ascending a peak, but in struggling with and overcoming difficulties...'

People are always asking me to explain or justify the sport of climbing ... but climbing, just like life itself, has no narrow rational purpose ... all its sense lies in the doing. ... A reawakening to what it means to be alive, the unaccountable miraculousness of being ... and that feeling of sheer delight in it.


Quote from Jonathan Neale, Tigers of the Snow

I ask Khansa Sherpa, in English, why foreigners climb mountains. He laughs and says to his wife, Lhakpa, in Sherpa, "You know what he just asked me? Why do foreigners climb mountains?" Lhakpa laughs, too.

Then Khansa tells me he has been reflecting on this matter since 1953. He's finally concluded that foreigners climb mountains because they like to. Unlikely as that seems, no other explanation makes sense.


Quote from The Beatles
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles




Andy following me (a rare event) on Dragon's Tail Couloir. May, 2006. Photo by smudge.

My Images

See all of my 402 Images:

My Lists

Show Lists

Content loading here...

Messages Relevant to Me

Messages Posted to My Contributions

Show Messages

Content loading here...

Replies to My Messages

Show Messages

Content loading here...

Messages I Posted/ Editable Objects

Messages I've Posted

Show Messages

Content loading here...

Objects I Can Edit

Show Objects

Content loading here...

Reviews I Posted/Reviews Posted to my Gear

Reviews I've Posted

Show Reviews

Content loading here...

Reviews Posted to my Gear

Show Reviews

Content loading here...

Objects Others Have Attached to My Objects

Show Attached Objects

Content loading here...

Photos Others Have Attached to My Objects

Show Attached Photos

Content loading here...