Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Scott

Scott - Nov 16, 2009 7:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Loafer and elevation

This is the next door neighbor of Santaquin Peak which already has a summitpost page. However, Loafer Mountain is the one of the two that has the most height so thanks to that it gets the prominence and since it is the 44th most prominent peak in the state of Utah, it deserves its own page as it gets a bit confusing to people who are seeking out the summit of Loafer but end up on Santaquin Peak, not realizing that they are not on Loafer Mtn.

The reason for the confusion is that the whole massive is actually known as Loafer Mountain, including Santiquin Peak. Santiquin Peak on the topo map is the one that is highly visible from Utah Valley, but everyone local calls it Loafer Mountain.

Anyway, all my maps show the elevation of Loafer at 10,687 feet. It appears from the Mytopo link that the newest USGS map leaves out the spot elevation (and listofjohn interpolated the elevation from the contours), but all other maps show the elevation at 10,687 which is within two feet of Santiquin. The sign on the summit also says 10,687. Is it still there? (I noticed that this page too mentions the two feet difference).

Dean

Dean - Nov 16, 2009 10:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Loafer and elevation

Thanks Scott, that is great input. I've put the elevation at 10687 rather than the 10700 that I had picked up from John's website. There was no sign on the summit of Loafer when I was there although someone else mentioned there had been one earlier than 2007. I hope someone has a picture of that they could contribute. I was using the Mytopo link (found on LOJ) and while it did show Santaquin at 10685, it had no elevation listed for Loafer. Again, thanks for the heads up and taking the time.

Noondueler

Noondueler - Nov 16, 2009 11:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice page Dean!

Good to see the seasonal versions of the same view of the peak.

Dean

Dean - Nov 19, 2009 9:57 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Glad to see this one.

I had toyed with the idea for quite awhile and while Scott correctly points out that the whole mountain area is Loafer Mountain, it still confused people (like me) when Santaquin is the peak that the trail takes you to and Loafer itself is treated like a step sister. Thank you for your comments and I hope you don't mind that I'm using your picture as one of the main ones.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Loafer Mountain (UT)' main page