Locals Only, 5.6

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.73217°N / 118.56876°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.6 (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.6
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Minarets, Mt.Ritter and Banner Peak seen from...The Minarets, Mount Ritter and Banner Peak are seen from the road to Locals Only Rock.



Locals only is a rock formation located some ten miles from the town of Benton, and thirty miles from the town of Mammoth Lakes, California.


Locals Only route topo





Tom leading  Locals Only
“Locals Only,” rated 5.6, is a route on Locals Only Rock
in the Owens Valley, near Benton, California.

Tom leading  Locals Only
“Locals Only” route defines the type of climbing you can encounter on any or all of the routes on Locals Only formation. The route is well featured, well protected and very moderate.



Tom leading  Locals Only
Locals Only formation is of the identical rock quality you find in Joshua Tree National Park. The rock is granite with sharp edges and well-textured surface. The cracks accept protection well and due to the wandering nature of Locals Only route, you need to use several runners to reduce rope drag.



Locals Only, 5.6, follows a right facing corner to about a third of the way up the rock. Then it traverses to the right for a short distance to gain a crack and face system that climbs to within fifteen feet of the summit blocks and a bolt anchor. The route is about 115 feet and about 75 degrees.



Beside being located in a desolate area, and a bit hard to find, “Locals Only” formation is at an elevation of nearly 8,000 feet and being west facing and in the shade during the morning hours, it makes any of the routes on this face ideal for summer climbing.


Gear:
Take a standard rack with protection up to 3 inches and several slings. Unless you have a very long rope, trail a second rope to add to your climbing rope for rappeling. There is a bolt anchor on top of Locals Only.









Tom leading  Locals Only
Locals Only formation
Tom leading  Locals Only
Tom leading  Locals Only
Tom on the top

How to get there


Sunset on Benton Crags
The Minarets, Mt.Ritter and Banner Peak seen from...
Locals Only Rock
Benton Crags...



Locals only is a rock formation located some ten miles from the town of Benton, and thirty miles from the town of Mammoth Lakes, California.

If you are going to climb on any of the Benton Crags, chances are that you are using Mammoth Lakes as your jumping off point. Therefore, the directions given here assume that you are starting from the intersection of Highway 395 and Highway 203, the main road leading to Mammoth Lakes.

From the intersection of Highway 395 and Highway 203 drive south on HWY 395 for 5.5 miles to its intersection with “Benton Crossing Road.” You will see a small church on your right. From this intersection drive another twenty four miles past Crowley Lake and pinion forest to “Barker Mine Road,” which is shortly after the sign “Wildrose Summit.” Barker Mine Road is actually the National Forest Road (3S50) and it’s a dirt road. From here you will see several of the formations that make up Benton Crags. Drive .4 miles to another dirt road. Turn left here and drive .8 miles past at least two forks in the road heading left. Stay on the main, wider dirt road for this .8 mile stretch. You will come to a fork. Take the left one for another .3 miles to a good turn around/primitive camping area. It is important to know that fire restrictions are in effect. Locals Only Rock is visible behind the trees from here and it’s a short walk up a steep and sandy hill.

Camping

Benton Crags are located within National Forests and you can camp anywhere you want. However, fire restrictions are in place. You may acquire a fire permit from Bishop Ranger Station in the town of Bishop, or the ranger station in the town of Mammoth Lakes. Benton Crags are within a pinion forest with no water or facilities. Most people prefer to use the campgrounds closer to Highway 395. There are a number of Campgrounds within the town of Mammoth Lakes, and many more in the nearby towns. The following links should help find a suitable camp.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60791-d1119984-Reviews-Mammoth_Lakes_Visitor_s_Center-Mammoth_Lakes_California.html

you ask about Lake George campground and Lake Mary campground,

Or,
you may want to try the following links for camping outside of the town of Mammoth Lakes:

Horton Creek Campground

Rock Creek Canyon

Inyo National Forest


Bishop Creek and vicinity camping

Essential Gear

Take a standard rack with protection up to 3 inches and several slings. Unless you have a very long rope, trail a second rope to add to your climbing rope for rappeling. There is a bolt anchor on top of Locals Only.


External Links



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.