Lochaber 2008

Lochaber 2008

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing, Hiking, Scenery, Panorama, Water

Lochaber

This year Joe and I headed off to Lochaber in Scotland for our annual pilgrimage to find some winter snow. We based ourselves in Glen Nevis and, when the weather allowed us, climbed the surrounding mountains of the Ben Nevis range and the Mamores. I had been to the Lochaber area once before in the summer of 2001 to compete in an international orienteering compete ion, but climbed absolutely no mountains (trust me when your running for at least an hour every day through rough Scottish forests you don't want to climb any mountains), so I was thoroughly looking forward to the trip. Despite some pretty grim weather grounding us for a few days we had some great winter mountaineering days and now eagerly await the next time I'm able to return. It's always a pleasure to mountaineer in Scotland, you just don't get that kind of scale and wilderness anywhere else in Britain. For now though I'll have to satisfy myself with creating a few Mountain and Route pages for SP.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Boydie

Boydie - Mar 7, 2008 12:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Love it

Cracking album Dan. Glen Nevis is a beautiful place and you and Joe have shown that well in your pictures. I imagine you shall be adding some mountain pages soon and I look forward to reading them. Had planned to write something on this area after being there last year but felt I hadn't covered enough ground/took enough pictures to do it real justice. Wishing I was there NOW!
Take care
Stephen

Nanuls

Nanuls - Mar 8, 2008 9:15 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Love it

Cheers Stephen, it's a stunning place just wish I lived nearer. I've got a few pages planned, going to do a few for the Mamores, and I'm currently updating some of the Ben Nevis pages, as to put it politly they don't do the area justice. If you have any photos and/or info of your own to add that would be great, and when the time comes to make something I can give you admin rights to the page.

All the best
Dan

daveyboy

daveyboy - Mar 9, 2008 4:32 pm - Voted 10/10

What an area:

How many summits did you both cover whilst up there...?
The weather conditions looked as though they gave you a taste of everything. If only my weekend on the Glen Shee summits had been that way.
Like Boydie says. I look forward to some summit pages being added or even a complete range/area.
All the best.
David.

Nanuls

Nanuls - Mar 9, 2008 5:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: What an area:

Not entiarly sure how many summits we got in, more than 10 anyway. The weather was pretty varied the whole time we were up there, somedays it was so bad we didn't get out at all. Snowed every day we where on the mountains, and it got real, real cold some days. On our trip up No. 5 Gully it took us nearly 45 mins to escape thanks to a nice cornice and a large accumulation of fresh snow. Couldn't get a firm grip with the axe or crampons, I reckon it would have avalanched not long after we got out. When we finally got out we I was so cold I couldn't stop my hands from shaking, and when we finally got out of the worst of it I took my gloves off to find the top of my index finger on my right hand had turned blue! New pages on their way, finished the first today, a reworking of the old Pony Track/Tourist Route on Ben Nevis:

http://www.summitpost.org/route/386853/pony-track.html

Cheers Dan

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Ben NevisAlbums