Lochs, NE ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.61266°N / 121.60365°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

There were a few feet of snow on Loch Katrine, and the upper loch had 6-8' of snow, so we were spared from any bush-whacking in mid-February. It appeared that you would pass to the west of the lower loch, and traverse clockwise around the upper loch in the spring-fall.

Note that the Lock Katrine area and the Lk Phillippe valley haven't been logged for a long time, so the alpine scenary is quite nice.

Getting There

See main page description.

Route Description

We followed the route shown in the attached image and stayed on the logging road trail to Loch Katrine. After negotiating some stream crossings at the SE corner of the lake, the rocky terminus of the ridge heading up to Upper Loch Katrine comes into view. Work to the right and follow the path of least resistance all the way to the upper loch. From the upper loch, the summit is left of the more impressive pt 5245 summit that drops steeply into the loch.
TwinPeaksSummitSummit above Upper Loch Katrine
pt5245_upperLkKatrinePt 5245 above Upper Loch Katrine


Try to stay more to the left as you make your way onto the NE ridge. This avoids steeper chutes that could be dangerous in the winter (30-40 deg). We ascended one of the steeper chutes on the ascent, and learned from our mistake.
SummitRoutePanLooking back at NE summit ridge


About 13 mi RT, 4000' to summit, 300' return, 5-7 hrs to summit.

The yellow shortcut reduces the RT milage by about three miles. We planned to try the shortcut on the way back, but it was getting dark. We verified that the high end of the shortcut agrees with the map, so I'm bullish that it will go. It's only about 500' from the logging road trail to the waypoint "4WDRD".


Essential Gear

ice axe, snowshoes

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.