Long Path (Northbound)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.31650°N / 74.05128°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class I (YDS)
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is a short (0.6 mile oneway) and sometimes steep trail that offers 360-degree views of the Hudson Highlands.
Route Stats and info:
Blaze- Aqua and a few plastic "Long Path" disks
Mileage (oneway)- 0.65
Elevation Gain- 287 ft.
Average Grade- 9%
Max. Grade- 40%


Getting There

From I-87 exit at Exit 16 and follow signs for Route 6. Take Route 6 5 miles to the eastern eneternce of the Long Mtn. Parking Lot. (must use the eastern entrence because the parking lot road is a one way)

Route Description

Mile 0.0 - Leave the parking lot by the Torrey Kiosk. This section of trail is on an old gravel woods road. As the traffic noise lessens the trail decends into a small hallow.

Mile 0.30 - Here the LP meets the Popolopen Gorge Trail (red on white blaze). Turn left and up a small hill. The trail gets steeper after this.

Mile 0.50 - As the trail approaches the summit the grade steepens and trees become sparse.

Mile 0.60 - The summit and Torrey Memorial are reached. Return same way. Or...
Continue on LP into Deep Hollow and when you reach the woods road turn left and follow it back to the LP near the Popolopen Gorge Trail and back to the parking lot.

Essential Gear

Standard dayhike gear. Nothing special is need out of season.

External Links

Add External Links text here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Long Mtn.Routes