Long Trail Mountains

Vermont, United States, North America
Page Type Page Type: List
Sign the Climber's Log

The Long Trail

Ladders on the Long Trail

In the spirit of the Appalachian Trail Mountains page, here are the mountains of the Long Trail.

Completed in 1930 the Long Trail is the oldest long-distance trail in the United States. At 270 miles the LT, as it is known, runs peak to peak to peak along the ridge of the Green Mountains from the Massachusetts border to the Canadian border, and provides the hiker and backpacker with a beautiful backcountry trail and access to many of the Green Mountain's best areas.

The Green Mountains are a part of the much larger Appalachian Mountain chain running the length of Vermont and continuing north and south into Quebec and Massachusetts. Vermont's 160 mile portion varies from 20 to 36 miles wide. The highest peaks are above 4,000 feet.

Three alpine tundra areas can be found on the higher peaks. These rare environments mimic species found 1500 miles to the north. Mt. Mansfield (highest in VT) has the largest tundra zone at 250 acres. There are another 10 acres on Camel's Hump and a small patch on Mt Abraham.

For more information about the Green Mountains see Summit Post's own Green Mountains range page.

The Trail and the Mountains

Approximately 270 miles of AT cross Vermont from the Massachusetts border near North Adams to Quebec, Canada. This distance is maintained by volunteers in the Green Mountain Club and the US Forest Service. The trail is often spoken of as having two different sections. The southernmost 104 miles to Maine Junction which the Appalachian Trail shares are more travelled and more gentle. North of the LT/AT split the Long Trail climbs the state's highest mountains and crosses its most remote areas. In the northern section there are ladders on parts of the trail and stretches of alpine tundra on exposed mountaintops. Early in the hiking season the trail may be quite overgrown. Because of the large number of subpeaks on minor mountains the list below with few exceptions only lists mountains where the Long Trail actually summits the main peak.
Jay Peak to Canada
Table in progress...
Name Height (ft/m) Side Trail Side Trail Distance
Canadian Border
Battell Mtn 3482 no
Mt. Boyce 3323 no
Worth Mtn 3234 no
Gillespie Peak 3366 no
Cape Lookoff Mtn 3320 no
Mt. Horrid 3216 no
Killington Peak 4,241 yes .2
Baker Peak 2,850 / 869 no -
Peru Peak 3,429 / 1,045 no -
Bromley Mountain 3,260 / 746 no -
Spruce Peak 2,040 / 622 yes 300 ft
Stratton Mountain 3936 / 1200 no -
Glastonbury Mountain 3,748 / 1,143 no -
Consultation Peak 2810 / 857 no -
Massachussetts Border
mountains listed north to south


Much of the LT in Vermont is really a narrow strip of protected land surrounded by private property. Pay attention to signage and guidebooks regarding private property and camping restrictions.

On or near the trail are 25 shelters, camps, or cabins. The standard shelter is a 3 sided affair with wooden floor and sometimes a picnic table in front. They sleep 6-8 usually. Cabins are just what the name says, log or frame cabins often with glass windows. They can be very nice and any are welcome in a storm. There are all different sizes. LT camps are structures that are open tosome degree but much more like a cabin than a shelter.

For more information about the AT/LT and the Green Mountains see Summit Post's own Green Mountains range page.

End to Enders

Peru Peak

Backpackers completing the whole trail whether at one time or over a span of years are called End to Enders. About 70 people per year successfully complete the entire trail and become end to enders.

Thruhikers generally start in summer and take about a month to complete the hike. The main concerns when planning an end to end hike are mud season, black flies, and snow. Each of those is better explained on the Green Mountains page linked above.

This year's Long Trail thruhiker journals

Movies

Here are a few movies from an Oct 2005 north to south thruhike of the Long Trail.

View from Stratton Firetower
View from Bromley Lookout
View Camel's Hump (inclement weather)
Climbing Mt. Mansfield's Chin #1
Climbing Mt. Mansfield's Chin #2



Geography
Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.