Lost Peak

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class1
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Lost peak is a great peak to hike with outstanding views. There is a beautiful conifer forest that awaits you at the summit. The trail is a 6.4 mile hike. You gain 1500 feet of elevation. Rated a strenous hike by the Guadalupe Mountains information page. You climb out of Dog canyon to reach the peak. As with all high country hiking, be prepared for the unexpected.You will catch the Tejas trail at the Dog Canyon trailhead to make this hike.

Getting There

Lost peak is on the northern end of the Guadalupe mountains park. I suggest you enter from Carlsbad. If you come in through Van Horn, it will be an extra 130 miles to reach Dog Canyon.

Route Description

The trail through Dog canyon is relatively easy. Once you began to hike out of the canyon, the trail becomes much steeper. You will hike several switchbacks before the trail levels off a bit. Then you hike more switchbacks till you reach the summit. You can see Mckittrick canyon from the summit. Really nice views!

Essential Gear

All essential gear for high country hiking and the season.

External Links

http://www.guadalupe.mountains.national-park.com/sights.htm

Geography
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.