Macario Route (standard)

Macario Route (standard)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 22.83389°S / 67.88361°W
Additional Information Route Type: Steep Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk - up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The trail begins in the draw on the south face of the mountain. As you face the mountain from the overlook at Laguna Verde, it is the left side of the mountain. A road goes there from back towards the park office. As you drive up the draw, you come to some ruins. Park and walk a bit further up the draw, then turn right and straight up.

Route Description


If you find the start of the trail, you really "can't miss it" the climb is just a switchbacking trail up, up, up to the top. Took us 4 hours up and 1 1/2 down. you will gain approx 4,200 feet vertical. We go pretty fast so allow yourself more time unless you think your pretty tough. Bring all the water you will need, none available. I suggest at least two quarts. Remember sunscreen and there will be wind. There is another decent straight down a snowfield to a saddle then down the South side to the parking area, You may be able to see tracks.

Essential Gear


As always, Good Tough Boots. My brother wore trail shoes, but I would not recomment these, suit yourself. Sunglasses, sunscreen, adequate wind protection and warm gear as needed. Trek poles are helpful if you like. Depends on local conditions, probably wont need iceaxe and crampons.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.