Take exit 230 off I-5 head East the you'll have to turn left and then right again (well marked) to stay on Hwy 20Follow State Route 20 EAST to milepost 82Turn LEFT (north) on Baker Lake Highway (Forest Service Road #11)Continue on the Baker Lake Hwy for 12 milesTurn LEFT on F.S. Road #12 stay left at forksAfter 7 miles turn LEFT on Road #1230After 4 miles the trailhead and parking area are located in at the end of the road
Current Road Conditions
Beginning Elev. 3,900ft
Length 1.5 miles each way
Elevation gain 1,400ft
Easy trail hike
- Starting at the trailhead, Blue Lake Trail #604, follow the trail a mostly flat 1/4 mile to a junction with the Dock Butte Trail.
- Take the right fork and begin hiking up moderate wooded slopes bearing SW. left fork leads .5 miles to Blue lake, good campsites and water.
- After 1/2 mile the trail gains a ridge. Pocket views of Mt. Shuksan start here. .
- In another 1/4 mile you enter sub-alpine meadows full of wildflowers. Views of Baker are breathtaking and completely unobstructed. .
- From here hike SW, the obvious summit will finaly become visible about 400ft up the meadows..
- Here you have a choice.
- The left fork is a direct and steep (for a hike) ridge-climb that is slightly exposed in sections. Easy for a climber
- the right fork bears right and switchback more moderately up to the summit. There is one section that involves and easy root climb. This fork is easier and less strenuous
- The summit is a treat, and old fire lookout once stood here. Decend the route.
Dock butte would be a spectacular winter vantage. Beware though of Avalanche Conditions on North facing slopes. Check Snow Level
andCheck Avalanche Report
Skiing through the forested section would be difficult, you'll have to bring snowshoes even if skiing. The meadow-summit section would provide ~1,000ft of good skiing, but I'd probably just shoe it up and down.
Route can be done in trailrunners. Bring bug spray. No suitable water is available on the route, water is available at Blue lake
Snowshoes and poles
Shovel, Beacon, Probe!!!
If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.