Maltatal

Overview

"Maltatal" is a great valley in Austria for climbing waterfalls. Almost always, the waterfalls are close to the road, so easy acces. As the valley is not very width, sunshine has not very much impact. "Close" to each other, there are over 20 routes of different difficulty.

Getting There

How to get there. The most easy way is to travel by car to Malta. After a few kilometers you will see several waterfalls mostly at your left hand. However, there are also routes on your right site. Use this link to go to the overview maps of Maltatal:

Overview map

Red Tape

No fees at all. It is not allowed to camp in the wild. Use rooms in pensions in the small villages. Parking is easy. I saw a lot of cars standing aside the road. There is also a parking spot a few hundred meters after "Kerschhacklhof". Check it at the same site as mentioned before.

Overview map

When To Climb

Most waterfalls should not be climbed before January 1st. Reason is that most falls are on private property, which is used for hunting etcetera. The hunting season ends December 31st. It is allowed to climb some falls. Check the website mentioned before. As the waterfalls in Maltatal are not very expose to direct sunlight, the climbing season lasts longer. This year (2003) even up to the end of March.

Mountain Conditions

The following website gives short descriptions/topo of about 15 waterfalls which can be climbed. Topos: Supermax

Supermax

Kerschhacklfall

Kerschhacklfall

Aluhol

Aluhol

Columbus (topo still under construction)

Columbus

Strannerbach

Stannerbach

Kathedrale

Kathedrale

Gamseck

Gamseck

Wintasun

Wintasun

Superfeucht

Superfeucht

Hochalmfall

Hochalmfall

Vorderer Maralmfall

Verderer Maralmfall

Mittlere Maralmfälle

Mittlere Maralmffälle

Hinterer Maralmfall

Hinterer Maralmfall

Grosser Klammfall ("Mareiner")

Grosser Klammfall

Kleiner Klammfall ("Marimpel")

Kleiner Klammfall

Vorderer Keesbachfall ("Schweinchen Dick")

Vorderer Keesbachfall

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
triskelion

triskelion - Mar 5, 2005 4:07 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

The best way to reach the Maltatal is to take take the A10 highway from Salzburg or Villach, get of the highway at Gmund drive through the village of Malta to the end of the road Falleralm (a restaurant). Either leave your car there if the road conditions up higher are bad, or continue up the road to the ice falls.

triskelion

triskelion - Mar 5, 2005 4:17 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

For those of you who understand German, there is an Ice climbing guide book for the Carinthia Alps region, which includes the Maltatal valley.
Otherwise other useful links are:
www.bergsteigen.at (for those who understand German, weather, route condition info etc.)
www.planetmountain.com (in Italian and English, contains some info and topos)
www.maltatal-alpin.at (a home page for the Maltatal valley in German and English)

dmiki

dmiki - Feb 11, 2008 3:45 pm - Voted 9/10

Trilanguage guide

German - Italian - English http://www.edition-neumann.com/4_eisfall/140_angaben.htm

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.