Viewing: 1-15 of 15
kunlun

kunlun - Oct 2, 2005 11:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

Wow! This report is very informative and I am totally impressed!! Thanks!

Hikerchick63 - Feb 15, 2006 1:05 am - Hasn't voted

Impressive

Thank you. Most excellent and informative. You guys rock! A serious inspiration!

johandahl - Dec 29, 2010 12:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Impressive

I like the report. Now I have to exercise for my upcoming Kilimanjaro expedition.

NewDayRising

NewDayRising - Feb 16, 2006 7:11 am - Voted 10/10

excellent

great trip report. your wife is amazing!!

hagertyp

hagertyp - Feb 18, 2006 3:28 am - Voted 10/10

Spectacular!

The gold standard in TRs! I'm attempting to brush up on my html, in order to use some of the table formats you used. The structure is easy on the eyes and the content is fascinating.

Nelson

Nelson - Feb 18, 2006 4:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Spectacular!

Thanks very much for your comments.

For the HTML I used NVU, a free HTML editor. It made this TR come together easily. Highly recommended, especially with the new "noformat" option for SPv2, you can just cut and paste your source into SP.

hagertyp

hagertyp - Feb 21, 2006 4:32 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Spectacular!

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely use it for the pages I'm creating.

Henning Lege - Feb 23, 2006 10:18 am - Hasn't voted

Congratulations

Hi,
congratulations to you two on this remarkable summit success, and many thanks for sharing the trip report and the pictures! Maybe I will try to follow your steps in 10 years time ;-)
By the way, the excellent kingfisher picture from Lake Manyara does not show a Malachite Kingfisher. I would rather go for a Grey-headed Kingfisher (Halcyon leucocephala).
Cheers,
Henning

Nelson

Nelson - Feb 23, 2006 2:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Congratulations

Thanks much for your comment. Hopefully the glaciers will still be there in 10 years.

I changed the caption on the kingfisher. You are indeed correct, thanks. That explains how we were able to get close enough for a decent photo, as the Malachites were skittish and would not sit still for a portrait. I just wanted this to be a Malachite!

Regards, Nelson

Nelson

Nelson - Aug 19, 2007 11:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great reading!

Four semesters of Swahili?! Cool, that is outside of the bell curve! Indeed, you'd have fun with it over there. Thanks for the comment, Jeff, glad you liked the TR.

Nelson

Nelson - Aug 21, 2007 10:53 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great reading!

The Winds were truly marvelous, a great trip. We spent (only) five days in the backcountry, but did bag Fremont Peak. I've posted an SP photo album called "Less Than Eleven Feet", if you want to have a look. See you around, Nelson.

joshuaorum

joshuaorum - Oct 3, 2007 10:53 am - Hasn't voted

Temperatures

Great trip report.

I know it's been a couple years, but do you recall what sort of temperatures you ran into at various points in the trip? You mentioned debating between fleece and down/shell. How did the down work out? Did it get wet on the lower slopes?

Nelson

Nelson - Oct 5, 2007 9:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Temperatures

Thanks much.

To the best of my recollection the temperature would get down to frost at night as low as Shira Camp. I recall being careful not to slip on the icy floor of the Shira latrine during an early morning nature call. At the next two camps temps might have been in the 20's (F) at night and into single digits at Barafu. On the summit it was definitely below zero.

For me the down worked perfectly for hanging around outside the tent in the late evening after the mid-afternoon rain had stopped. I have a smallish down jacket (North Face Nuptse - I think) that is similar in bulk and weight as my fleece, but warmer.

They stayed dry OK - packed in a plastic bag in our duffels during the day, then kept out of rain at night. Granted that could be an issue, but it worked out for us and I was glad to have the down. I get cold easily.

pearcesj - Oct 3, 2007 11:08 am - Voted 10/10

Inspiration!

Your report was referred to me through my posting about gear. Thanks to whomever for the referral!! I was questioning my abilities, but you certainly make it sound do-able. Your wife must adhere to "mind over matter" in terms of her past injuries. My father, husband, brother, and 2 sons are doing the hike - to summit New Year's morning. Can't wait! Thanks again.

Nelson

Nelson - Oct 5, 2007 9:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Inspiration!

Thanks much to you and to CharlesD, who I now see referred you.

My wife deals with her various ailments - and they do affect her daily - but does what she can to avoid it impacting her life. When she puts her mind to something it usually happens! That said, we knew she was capable of this hike, she just had to take extra care while on the trail.

Good luck on your trip. Take it pole pole and you'll do fine.

Viewing: 1-15 of 15
Return to 'Mama Tembo Climbs Kilimanjaro' main page