Marble Mountain (Marble Rim) Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
rhyang

rhyang - Apr 1, 2008 3:39 pm - Voted 10/10

Beautiful page !

The only comment I have is that the link at the bottom to the Klamath NF's wilderness page has an extra "http" in it.

Oh, and maybe a note about suggested months to visit, or perhaps a date or two in the photo captions. The last time I was in this area was early July 2004 and I recall snow on some areas of the PCT.

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Apr 2, 2008 12:39 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Beautiful page !

I am glad you liked the page and I appreciate the input too! I will add a note regarding the conditions. I am actually working up a route page. I have had a long docket of things to do but oddly enough a bad economy means my business goes up, so I have been too busy to post anything in a while. I hope you are doing well!

rhyang

rhyang - Apr 2, 2008 9:51 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Beautiful page !

No worries ! Now that I'm backpacking again I definitely want to visit the Marbles again this year :)

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Apr 2, 2008 11:08 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Beautiful page !

Well...if you want a basecamp in Shasta or someone to go with you, give me a holler!

rl23455

rl23455 - Jun 1, 2008 5:01 pm - Hasn't voted

link addition

For caving information contacts, see http://kmctf.org
can you please add this to the Caving information area also?

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Jun 3, 2008 11:56 am - Hasn't voted

Re: link addition

Posted. Thanks for the link!

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Mar 4, 2012 7:17 pm - Hasn't voted

elevation?

The coordinates you provide for the peak correspond to the peak with elevation 6,990ft, just south of the peak with elevation 7,321ft. It's not obvious from the topo map which is the correct point. Peakbagger.com shows Pk. 6,990ft as the correct one, for what that's worth. I honestly don't know - I had thought the point to the south, 6,881ft was it based on another peak list, but again I've no sure idea.

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Mar 5, 2012 1:54 am - Hasn't voted

Re: elevation?

I have really vacillated on this point. At first I went with the 6,990 as the highpoint. I am not sure where, but I remember seeing that point listed somewhere. It definitely is the highest point on the main chunk of the rim. Yet the when I am up there, Pt. 7,321 seems like it is part of the same formation. Thus I changed the elevation after my last trip there. It really comes down to whether you say the Rim ends at the gap or the large marble block on the north side of the gap is part of the Rim. Of course, 7,321 could also be a shoulder of Black Marble Mountain.

Here are the angles that I have found useful in reevaluating the issue:
http://www.summitpost.org/marble-rim/327267/c-327255
http://www.summitpost.org/marble-rim/327271/c-327255
http://www.summitpost.org/marble-rim/327266/c-327255

Like I said, I have gone back and forth on this one. I am comfortable changing the elevation back to 6,990 if you think that is more accurate. Thoughts?

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Mar 5, 2012 3:41 am - Hasn't voted

Re: elevation?

Having never been there, I honestly have no idea which is best called Marble Mtn. The USGS seems to agree by marking the whole ridge with the title, a bit of a cop-out. I just wanted to point out that your coords and elevation are out of sync. Pick whichever you think best and make the elevation/coords match. I noticed that peakbagger.com picked the 6,990-foot point, but they're not a definitive source.

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Mar 14, 2012 8:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: elevation?

Just a heads up. I switched the elevation back to 6,990. I think a strong case can be made for the higher point but there is less confusion and alignment with peakbegger this way.

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Mar 31, 2021 11:51 am - Hasn't voted

Marble or limestone?

Ok, I finally got to pay a visit a few years ago. Very cool area. It seems to me that all the whitish rock is limestone, not marble at all.

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Return to 'Marble Mountain (Marble Rim)' main page