Page Type Page Type: Custom Object
Additional Information Object Type: Pass used for 100 years
Additional Information County: Millard County

Between Notch Peak and Swasey Peak

Before 1947 the main highway between Utah and Nevada and into California was US 50-6 and the majority of the way was dirt. The old road is still there going through Marjum canyon and on the way to the west desert. This year brought more erosion, but the connection is still made. Hopefully the government doesn't make backwoods travel a thing of the past. Locals call the entire area the "west desert", but the mountains contain nice trees, native grasses, and expansive vistas. Very near Marjum pass is a commercial tourist stop with self-service trilobite beds.

Getting There:

No sign or remains of a sign at the intersection of the old road and the new addition from the 1940's. Look for milemarker 76 southwest of Delta and Hinckley on US highway 6-50. I drove about 40 miles on the good dirt road and parked the car. Walking the length of Marjum pass and back took a couple of hours. Trilobites are here but not found this time. King top, Deep Creeks, Keg mountain, Tatow Knob, and gambling at Border Inn are all close. Marjum canyon is about halfway between Notch Peak and Swasey peak, written about by others. These three features belong to the House range, named by Captain Simpson in 1859 who, looking west for railroads, noticed similarities.

Seen in the area:

Due east of Swasey Peak and about 45 miles northeast of Marjum Pass you must have seen the power plant with the 714-foot high smokestack. This is seen for at least 50 miles in all directions. Twice a day, 100 coal-filled train cars leave Wellington, Utah and travel through Price Canyon and out Spanish Fork canyon and on to the plant. Water is trapped in a dam northeast of Delta for the process. Los Angeles writes a check for the coal and sends it to Utah. Imagine how many local, good jobs this provides.