Viewing: 1-14 of 14
silversummit

silversummit - Jul 14, 2010 9:28 am - Voted 10/10

Very good read!

I really enjoyed reading about your climbs to these famous places. You have a great, understated sense of style and humor! Only thing missing is a picture of that rain gauge!

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us here at SP! My German sister-in-law will enjoy reading this as well!

hansw

hansw - Jul 15, 2010 6:12 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Very good read!

I have searched the entire web for a picture of rain gauge but there is no one to be found. To be honest I think the story is true. Writing about it it sounded a bit cruel so I put in a question mark.

Thanks for taking time to read and for the nice words. And say hello your sister-in-law.:)

/Hans

silversummit

silversummit - Jul 15, 2010 8:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Very good read!

Thanks for looking Hans!

hansw

hansw - Oct 23, 2010 10:50 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Very good read!

Found it! Added the rain gauge!

silversummit

silversummit - Oct 23, 2010 4:44 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Very good read!

Thank you!!!

hansw

hansw - Jul 19, 2010 7:20 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Smiling protest !

Protest sustained.

She must have been one of a kind. I did read that she was born in Romania which I of course should have mentioned. (You don’t get away with much here on SP:)) Knowing her background increases the odds for her being the first on the summit.

Thanks Mihai.

/Hans

dadndave

dadndave - Jul 19, 2010 1:46 am - Voted 10/10

Nice work

One year earlier and I could have met you and you could have shown me around. (I was there in 96 but my only ascent was by rail) Actually one of the problems I found was that after driving from Interlaken and then catching the train up to the Jungfaujoch, I felt quite dizzy after a few paces taken briskly along the platform. I never expected to experience this at what I thought was a relatively modest altitude.

hansw

hansw - Jul 19, 2010 11:39 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice work

Jungfraujoch – Interlaken = 3454 m – 568 m = 2868 m. That is a substantial height gain in only one or two hours. I think that the relative distance is more important than the height itself. I once had a similar experience in arriving in Chamonix and going up to Aiguille du Midi - which makes both of us human I guess:)

Thanks Graham,

/Hans

RayMondo

RayMondo - Jul 19, 2010 6:13 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice account

And as always, with interesting historical reference.

hansw

hansw - Jul 20, 2010 6:16 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice account

Thanks,

A good thing about mountaineering is all the things written about it, especially the old books are interesting reading.

/Hans

icypeak

icypeak - Jul 19, 2010 7:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Wonderful story Hans!

I loved the Monch and the railway ride up was so enjoyable, your story brought me back to the mountains for a while. I thank you for that and for sharing your experience, you have a very nice writing style.

hansw

hansw - Jul 20, 2010 7:19 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Wonderful story Hans!

Talking about the train up to Jungfraujoch I remember when I recommended a friend to go there during a visit to Switzerland. He was overwhelmed with the experience. But coming home and checking his credit card bills he saw that they had put in one zero too much in the sum for the train fare to Jungfraujoch. But they hadn’t. (Don’t want to scare anyone off, just say it’s a bit expensive).

Thanks,
/Hans

Alpinist

Alpinist - Jul 23, 2010 1:33 pm - Voted 10/10

Well done!

So you really DO climb mountains!? Nice report Hans!

hansw

hansw - Jul 26, 2010 5:19 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Well done!

Well, not so much DO as DID:)

Thanks George,

/Hans

Viewing: 1-14 of 14
Return to 'Me, the Mönch and the Princess' main page