Viewing: 1-2 of 2
markhallam

markhallam - Feb 2, 2017 5:33 am - Voted 10/10

Congratulations!

Not the 7000er you had in mind but a good solid 6000er, which is also over 20,000ft. Quite a strikingly arid place - surely comparable to the Puna in the Andes (not that I've been there, but I have twice been to a couple of hundred miles to the south)
Your mountain is almost exactly the same height as one I hope to climb (again) in the Andes a year from now.
As an avid wild swimmer as well as mountaineer I was very interested to see that beautiful Lake - must be at around 4000m. Many years ago I got to swim in a smaller one but at similar altitude - also in India, but in the Himachel Pradesh. Beautiful clear blue water - but very strange (and possibly unwise) swimming briefly under water at that altitude!
Good luck with the next one.
Mark

opensea64

opensea64 - Feb 7, 2017 5:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Congratulations!

Thanks for your feedback Mark! Swimming in a high Himalayan lake would be amazing despite the chill and low oxygen level (that must feel strange underwater) Im sure. Its an amazing part of the world...Yes Tso Moriri is approx 4500m ASL.
Good luck with your next climb. If you have time, feel free to read my blog at http://elevatedthinkingat.blogspot.com.au


I see you have a weblink posted so I'll certainly take a look!
All the best Chris

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Mentok Kangri 2' main page