Middle (Skadulgwas) Summit

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.31500°N / 121.7629°W
Additional Information Route Type: Rock Climb/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 4-5
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Note: For the time being, Trail #640 to the West Summit, West promontory summit, and Middle (Skadulgwas) Summit is closed to facilitate logging activity. Access to the Main (East) Summit is not effected. For more information, click here.

Take the West Summit Trail to the 4,600-ft notch just before the West Summit promontory.

Route Description


Leave the trail at the 4,600-ft notch and contour east. Or, if combining with an ascent of the West Summit promontory (4,849 ft), just follow the crest eastward from there. Pass down through a cliff band about midway to Skadulgwas. Approach the West Ridge of Skadulgwas but veer to the right onto the sandstone slabs. The friable slabs may be discomforting but the climbing is apparently not all that hard (Class 4 if you like but could be Class 5 if you go a harder way up).

Take a rope--might be more useful for a rappel.

Time = 4-5 hours from car; 3,100 ft of gain; approximately 11 miles round trip.

Essential Gear


Ice axe if early season. Crampons if icy.
50m rope (possibly a 30m). Runners for tree-slung protection. A small rack, perhaps. The mountain can be climbed without use of ropes. It all depends on your comfort level. The rope may be more useful for the rappel.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.