Mines of St. Marcel Valley (Iron Copper & Manganese)

Mines of St. Marcel Valley (Iron Copper & Manganese)

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Hiking

Copper Iron & Manganese Overview




This specific mining area is located into the St. Marcel Vallon or Valley. The same, in turn, is situated immediately to the East from the City of Aosta, the municipality of which (St. Marcel, 630 metres one thousand inhabitants on the slopes of Mont Roux, 2271 metres, and below the famous Sanctuary Plout, 968 metres) it is by the same fifteen Kilometres and is located on the banks of the hydrographic right (South) over the course of Baltea. Just before and on the other side, coming from the town, you meet Nus or "ad nonam lapidem" for the Romans in 25/23 BC had established the same. This is the way, the last part of "consular" coming from "Gens Taurine" (Turin) via "Augusta Eporedia" (Ivrea). So, setting aside of the People "Salassi" more and more "Augusta Praetoria Salassorum" and forced to retreat into the surrounding hills and then, after the victorious battle in the plain of "Cordelia" (the ancient Salassian Capital founded in 1158 BC by the Salassian Cordelus ancestor, descendant of Saturn and fellow expedition of Hercules) selling them on the market "Eporedia" or holding them as slaves. In the new "Urbs" founded by the Praetorian Guard Valerius Messala and Aulus Varro Terenzius Murena (yes, that of "Varo redde mihi Legiones") in honor of Emperor Gaius Octavian Caesar Augustus. A town full of monuments and almost impregnable, built in a square of 415,000 square metres with four input ports and an amphitheater which resembles the Coliseum in his small, a theater, an Arch of Augustus and other buildings such as to define it as the "Rome of the Alps". Aware of what was expressed in the "De Bello Gallico or Gallic Wars" by Julius Caesar, which states that it is easier to win than to subdue a people. To get what only the construction of major works can convince himself to surrender definitively the admiration for a great new civilization. Mutual admiration, as the Romans soon learned to recognize the hard work of this indomitable people which was gradually restored the freedom and independence which has lasted for over 20 Centuries.




A poor slave, under the control of the Guardian, to the Servette Coppermines,

by Osw


But making them work hard in their mines of gold, silver galena, iron, copper and manganese, as probably happened for the Mines of Saint Marcel. We "played Fantasy", but not too much progress is still quite controversial even today the problem on the population of the city before and after the Roman conquest. An uncertain document mentions 3,000 Praetorian Guard, and coexistence with the Salassian survivors, in contrast with an amphitheater designed for a bourg of thirty / forty thousand inhabitants. An inscription dating back to 23 BC it seems at odds with the claims of ancient historians such as latin Strabo, about the mass deportations of Salassi and their sale as slaves in "Augusta Eporedia". The legal language in Roman times with the term "incolae" indicated the inhabitants of a colony in possession of rights not on par with those of "cives". These clues suggest that the population is slowly Salassa is integrated with the new conquerors, as well as leave to assume the many epitaphs in which names appear bleeding associated with other Romans, whose children born of mixed marriages always brought Latin names. In Roman times it was a great strategic and military importance due to the control exercised on the two Passes of the Little and Great St. Bernard or of those who were then the "Viae Alpis Graia et Poenina", actually Graian and Pennine Alps. In fact at the end of the Second Punic War, after the victory of mythical General Scipio Africanus of Hannibal in 202 BC, Rome focused on the Alps, where the Gauls allies of the Carthaginians continued to pose a significant threat. The function of a camp place in this valley was mainly for strategic reasons. In any case the Romans needed these minerals and materials is fundamental for construction of buildings for the provision of weapons for the great "Exercitus/ui", already engaged for over two hundred years before the founding of the town in the several struggle with "Galli et Helvetii" This suggests that spared not all mines of the Salassi, therefore including that of St. Marcel.




Fénis St. Marcel Valleys at the foot of Punta Tersiva, above Baltea from North,

by Gangolf Haub


Questa specifica area sia mineraria che di protezione della natura é collocata nel Vallone o Valle di Saint Marcel. La stessa a sua volta é situata subito ad Oriente dalla Città di Aosta, il Comune della quale (St. Marcel, 630 m un migliaio di abitanti alle pendici del Mont Roux, 2271 m, e sotto il famoso Santuario di Plout, 968 m) dista dalla medesima una quindicina di Kilometri e si trova sulla sponda idrografica di destra (Sud) rispetto al corso della Dora Baltea. Appena prima e sulla sponda opposta, arrivando dalla città, si incontra il Comune di Nus o "ad nonam lapidem" per i Romani che nel 25/23 avanti Cristo avevano fondato la medesima. Questa é la strada, ultima parte della "via consolare" arrivando dalla "Gens Taurina" (Torino) passando per "Augusta Eporedia" (Ivrea). Così, emarginando il Popolo dei "Salassi" sempre di più da "Augusta Praetoria Salassorum" e costretto a ritirarsi sulle alture circostanti e poi, dopo la battaglia vinta nella pianura di "Cordelia" (l'antica Capitale Salassa fondata nel 1158 avanti Cristo da Cordelus capostipite dei Salassi, discendente di Saturno e compagno di spedizione di Ercole) vendendoli sul mercato di "Eporedia" oppure trattenendoli quali schiavi. Nella nuova "Urbs" fondata dai pretoriani Valerio Messala e Aulo Terenzo Varrone Murena (si, proprio quello di "Varo redde mihi Legiones") in onore dell'Imperator Caius Ottavianus Caesar Augustus. Una città ricca di monumenti e pressocché inespugnabile, costruita in un quadrato di 415.000 metri quadrati con quattro porte d'ingresso ed un anfiteatro che rassomiglia nel suo piccolo al Colosseo, un teatro, un Arco di Augusto ed altre costruzioni tali da farla definire come la "Roma delle Alpi". Consapevoli di quanto espresso nel "De Bello Gallico" di Giulio Cesare, dove si afferma che é più facile vincere che sottomettere un popolo; per ottenere ciò solo la costruzione di grandi opere può convincere lo stesso ad arrendersi definitivamente suscitando l'ammirazione per una grande e nuova Civiltà. Un'ammirazione reciproca, poiché i Romani impararono presto a riconoscere la laboriosità di questo popolo indomito al quale venne progressivamente restituita la libertà e l'indipendenza, che ormai dura da oltre 20 secoli.




Going Fénis, under the control of Guardian, to Les Druges,

by Osw

Duramente facendoli lavorar in miniere d'oro, galena argentifera, ferro, rame e manganese, come molto probabilmente successe anche per quelle di St. Marcel. Abbiam "giocato di Fantasia", ma non troppo anche se permane piuttosto controverso ancor oggi il problema sul popolamento della città prima e dopo la conquista. Un incerto documento accenna a 3.000 pretoriani, e della convivenza coi Salassi sopravvissuti, in contrasto con un anfiteatro progettato per una città di trenta/quarantamila abitanti. Un'iscrizione risalente al 23 a.C. parrebbe contraddire le affermazioni degli storici antichi trai quali Strabone, a riguardo delle deportazioni in massa dei Salassi e alle loro vendita come schiavi presso "Augusta Eporedia". Il linguaggio giuridico al tempo dei romani con il termine di "incolae" indicava gli abitanti di una colonia in possesso di diritti non alla pari con quelli dei "cives". Tali indizi lasciano supporre che la popolazione Salassa si sia lentamente integrata coi nuovi conquistatori, così come lascian pensare le numerose iscrizioni funerarie nelle quali appaiono nomi salassi associati ad altri romani, i cui figli nati da matrimoni misti portavano sempre dei nomi latini. In epoca romana ebbe una grande importanza strategica e militare grazie al controllo esercitato sui due passi del Piccolo e del Gran San Bernardo ovvero su quelle che eran allora le "Viae Alpis Graia et Poenina". Infatti al termine della Seconda Guerra Punica, dopo la vittoria di Scipione l'Africano su Annibale nel 202 avanti Cristo, Roma si concentrò sulle Alpi, dove i Galli alleati dei Cartaginesi continuavano a costituire una notevole minaccia. La funzione di un accampamento posto in questa valle era principalmente di tipo strategico. In ogni caso i Romani necessitavano di questi minerali e materiali fondamentali sia per le costruzioni degli edifici che per la dotazione d'armi per l'"Exercitus/ui", impegnato già da oltre duecento anni prima della fondazione della città in perenni ed atroci lotte con "Galli et Helvetii". Questo fattore lascia supporre che non abbian risparmiato tutte le miniere dei Salassi, compresa quindi quella di St. Marcel.




Above Mont Roux in St. Marcel Vallon with Iron & Coppermines,

by Maria Grazia Schiapparelli


This border demarcation between History and Legend persists to this day. But even if logic suggests this thinking, we refer the speech at first though, jumping at the back in time and space, not everything is so simple, easy and clear. In fact, while as regards the Coppermines of other locations, such as that of Ollomont have a dating safe start (1699), following the discovery made by Mr Jean Antoine Campier Rechoz, and subsequent well detailed chronology of events, as regards to Servette, by far the oldest, we have to resort to scientific studies on waste with dating radiocarbonio3. Allege that at the end of the ninth Century the beginnings of the extractions with its ore processing then continued with ups and downs over the next until 1770 / 80, when the mine was first abandoned and then transformed turning machining no longer the chalcopyrite to produce copper, but only to the pyrite used in the "Fabbrica" in the valley at the bridge over the Dora Baltea and then in the "Factory" in Verrès to produce sulfuric acid and accordingly fertilizers for agriculture. Similar discourse concerning the mineral exploitation of the iron where the strands of Cogne date from 1432 with a first furnace built in the Villages of Epinel and Crétaz by Monsignor Moriset, while regarding the exploitations front in the old "Conia" whence Cogne for coins minted on coins imperial, or the oldest "Coing" Salassi that does not mean coinage, but corner. Perhaps causing the edge of the valley where the mineral extracted in strands of "Colonna, Costa del Pino, Larsinaz", took the road through the Hills, to the Piedmont, of Acque Rosse, Scaletta (Ladder) and Arietta. As evidenced yet the labels of "Côte Piemont" in the middle of the Vallon Urtier, but even more ancient roads for carriages, of which there is clear evidence. In other places instead dating is certain, as the iron mine "Prenayex" discovered in 1337 by Bernard Maes in Val Ferret with subsequent exploitation in Switzerland in the ironworks of Orsières. While in other places the dating is fluctuating with roughly the year 1000 for that of "Pacoulla" in Gressoney Valley and other, in the same valley, "Fornaset" at Lillianes and another still as "Reich" at the Chapel of San Grato, dating back certainly. Iron was extracted also in the Head of Comagna with its transport in Châtillon, in the Valley of Saint Barthélemy in "Les Fabriques" and Valpelline at "Les Moulines" and also to "Lechère". Going beyond the Baltea and closer in time and to Vallon of St. Marcel, we find the iron mines to the "Mont Roux" in Champorcher Valley (1697), of "Valcoche" in the Hamlet of Ourthy (into the "Vallone della Legna") and Champdepraz Valley with mines pyrite and chalcopyrite in Crestaz and Herin Villages and those of iron nearby the Lake Gelato, below Mount Iverta (2939m) and in the Regional Park of Monte Avìc. But what comforts our previous assumptions are the news about the asbestos mines of "Septarmes" to Emarese Common under the Col de Joux, discovered by Pantaleon Crétier in 1872 but already exploited by the Romans as the one for the extraction of gold at Mont Chétif or "Mons Captivus" made slaves or prisoners or that of silver galena of Mont de la Saxe known as "Trou des Romains". A confirmation of the thesis that wants the mining of pyrite, chalcopyrite in Servette above Les Druges between 1700/1820 metres in altitude and manganese, at 1900, neighboring Praborna well antecedent to what the cards or the historical archives.




Going from Fénis into Pieiller Vallon towards Les Druges "Alte",

by Osw

Questa demarcazione dei confini tra Storia e Leggenda permane ancor insino ai giorni nostri. Ma pur se la logica suggerisce di ciò pensare, rimandiamo il discorso alla prima, ovvero storica, anche se, facendo un salto all'indietro nel tempo, non tutto risulta così semplice, facile e chiaro. Infatti mentre per quanto concerne le Miniere di rame di altre località come quella sita nel Comune d'Ollomont abbiamo una datazione di inizio sicura (1699), a seguito della scoperta effettuata dal Sig. Jean Antoine Campier Rechoz, e successiva ben dettagliata cronologia degli eventi, per quanto riguarda quella di Servette, di gran lunga più antica, dobbiamo ricorrere agli Studi scientifici sulle scorie con datazione al radiocarbonio3. Questi adducono alla fine dello IX° Secolo gli inizi dell'estrazioni con relativa lavorazione del minerale e poi proseguiti con alterne vicende nei successivi fino al 1770/80, allorché la miniera venne prima abbandonata e successivamente ritrasformata rivolgendo la lavorazione non più alla calcopirite per produrre rame, bensì esclusivamente alla pirite utilizzata nella "Fabbrica" a fondovalle, presso il ponte sulla Dora Baltea, e poi in quella di Verrès per produrre acido solforico e di conseguenza concimi per l’agricoltura. Similare il discorso per quanto concerne il minerale del ferro, dove lo sfruttamento nei filoni di Cogne datano del 1432 con un primo forno costruito nei Villaggi di Crétaz ed Epinel ad opera di Monsignor Moriset, mentre il discorso é diverso per quanto concerne le esploitazioni anteriori nella vecchia "Conia", donde Cogne per il conio effettuato sulle monete imperiali, oppure il più antico"Coing" dei Salassi, che non significa conio bensì angolo. Forse determinando quell'angolo della valle dove il minerale, estratto nei filoni di "Colonna, Costa del Pino, Larsinaz", prendeva la via del Piemonte tramite i Colli di Acque Rosse, Scaletta e dell'Arietta. Come testimoniano ancora le diciture di "Côte Piemont" nel medio Vallone dell'Urtier, ma ancor più le antiche strade carraie delle quali sussiste chiara testimonianza. In altre località invece la datazione é certa, come per la Miniera di ferro di "Prenayex" scoperta nel 1337 da Bernardo Maes in Val Ferret con successivo sfruttamento in Isvizzera nelle ferriere di Orsières. Mentre in altre località la datazione risulta altalenante con all'incirca l'anno 1000 per quella di "Pacoulla" in Valle di Gressoney ed altre, sempre nella stessa valle, a "Fornaset" presso Lillianes ed un'altra ancora al "Reich" presso la Cappella di San Grato, con datazione certamente posteriore. Il ferro veniva estratto anche alla Testa di Comagna con relativo traporto a Châtillon, nella Valle di Saint Barthélemy in località "Les Fabriques" e nell'adiacente Valpelline presso Les Moulines" ed anche a "Lechère". Oltrepassando la Dora Baltea ed avvicinandosi nel tempo e nello spazio al Vallone di St. Marcel, troviamo miniere di ferro al "Mont Roux" in Valle di Champorcher (1697), di "Valcoche" nella Frazione di Ourthy nel "Vallone della Legna" e nella Valle di Champdepraz con le miniere di pirite e calcopirite a Crestaz ed Herin e quelle di ferro al Lago Gelato, situate al di sotto del Monte Iverta (2939 m) ed internamente al Parco Regionale del Monte Avìc. Ma quello che conforta le nostre supposizioni precedenti sono le notizie al riguardo delle miniere di amianto di "Septarmes" nel Comune di Emarese sotto il Col di Joux, scoperta da Pantaléon Crétier nel 1872 ma già sfruttata dai Romani, come quella per l'estrazione dello oro al Mont Chétif o "Mons Captivus" realizzata con schiavi o prigionieri oppure di galena argentifera del Mont de la Saxe detta come "Trou des Romains". A conferma della tesi che vuole lo sfruttamento delle miniere di pirite, calcopirite a Servette sopra Les Druges in altitudine tra 1700/1820 metri e manganese, a 1900 metri, di Praborna ben antecedente a quanto affermino carte od archivi storici.



Servette Coppermines with one of several entrances,

by sergioenrico


This vallon that, by extension and amplitude, deserves to be considered in all respects a valley, it has a third mine or seam of ore called "Vein Chuc" and positioned at a level just lower ie between 1300/1450 metres. This was discovered in a more recent time at the place called "Chuc" (1418m) and closer to the Torrent de Saint Marcel. Unfortunately due to the short-sightedness of the new miners who sought only to higher profits, the extraction of the mineral happened so irrational, so that were shot down even the supporting pillars of that time, resulting already in the years 1770-80 initially with collapses and abandonment gradually reducing somewhat the ability of mining and quarrying in the same. Until 1780 the field was extracted exclusively chalcopyrite that was treated directly in the vicinity of the mine. In the twentieth Century the most important work took place at the line of Chuc with extraction of sulfur from pyrite, as well as the production of sulfuric acid, sulfates and fertilizers first descended to the "Fabbrica" in the valley floor, near the bridge on Dora Baltea, and then transported by truck in the "Factory Brambilla" in the nearby Verrès Commune for the final transformation. The works went on continuously until 1957, the year of the big flood in Aosta Valley, after which the three mines of iron, copper and manganese (Servette, Chuc and Praborna) were finally closed, leaving only a limited number of workers with the chief took care of reordering materials. In the following locations of Fontillon (1653m)was extracted, already from the XI° Century and continued until the twentieth, a particular type of stone for the construction of the grindstones to the mills that produced flour; they were exported mainly in the zones of Ivrea, Vercelli, but that's another story and I tell it the next time going together to explore the vast Group of Mount Emilius and the adjacent Rouèses or Roizà ...




Servette ancient iron & copper Furnace nearby Vargney Alp,

by Osw

Questo vallone che, per lunga estensione ed ampiezza, merita d'esser considerato a tutti gli effetti una vera e propria valle, possiede una terza miniera chiamata "Filone Chuc" e posizionata ad una quota appena più bassa cioé tra i 1300/1450 metri. Questa venne scoperta in tempo più recente presso la località detta "Chuc" e più vicina al Torrent de Saint Marcel. Purtroppo a causa della scarsa lungimiranza dei nuovi minatori che puntavano esclusivamente a profitti maggiori, l’estrazione del minerale avvenne in modo irrazionale, cosicché vennero abbattuti anche i pilastri di sostegno delle volte, provocando già negli anni 1770-80 i primi crolli ed un abbandono progressivo delle miniere riducendosi alquanto la capacità estrattive nelle medesime. Fino al 1780 dal giacimento venne estratta esclusivamente calcopirite che era trattata direttamente nei pressi della miniera. Nel XX° Secolo i lavori più importanti ebbero luogo al filone di Chuc con estrazione dello zolfo dalla pirite, nonché alla produzione di acido solforico, solfati e fertilizzanti dapprima discesi alla Fabbrica" in fondovalle e poi trasportati tramite autocarri nella Fabbrica Brambilla" a Verrès per la definitiva trasformazione. I lavori proseguirono continuativamente sino al 1957, anno della grande alluvione in Val d'Aosta, dopodiché le tre miniere (Praborna, Servette e Chuc) furono definitivamente chiuse, restando soltanto un limitato numero di operai che, insieme al capo dei servizi, si preoccupò del riordino dei materiali. Nella sottostante località di Fontillon (1653 m) si estraeva, già dall'XI° Secolo e continuata fino al XX°, un particolar tipo di pietra per la costruzione delle macine per i mulini che producevano farina; venivano esportate soprattutto nelle zone di Ivrea e Vercelli, ma questa é un'altra storia e ve la racconteremo la prossima volta andando insieme ad esplorare il vasto gruppo del Monte Emilius e l'adiacente delle Rouèses o Roizà ...




Grande Roise (3357m) Mountain Chain, above Praborna Manganesemines (1900m) into the Monte Emilius Group (3559m),

by emilius




Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.