Mont de l'Etoile Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
KoenVl

KoenVl - Jul 10, 2014 3:23 am Date Climbed: Jul 3, 2014

Darboneire, Vouasson and Mont de l'Etoile  Sucess!

Coming from the Cabane des Aiguilles Rouges we first climbed the Pointe de Darboneire, followed by the Pointe de Vouasson. We descended westwards over the Glacier de Vouasson towards the Mont de l'Etoile.
Still a lot of snow which made ascending and descending probably easier (in stead of loose rocks). Only near the sumit of the Mont de l'Etoile conditions were rather bad, a lot of loose rubble. Breathtaking views from all 3 summits!

We saw no traces of any other people, and according to the guestbook in the hut we were the first of the summerseason up there :)

rgg

rgg - Mar 14, 2014 10:48 am Date Climbed: Mar 11, 2014

S-N Traverse  Sucess!

On snowshoes I first went up the south summit, coming from Cabane des Aiguilles Rouges. There I donned crampons for the short traverse to the (slightly higher) north summit. Right before it there was a dangerous cornice. I could see saw that it was seriously overhanging to the west, so I kept well away from the edge.

The huge summit cairn had soaked up enough warmth to ensure that the small area around it was free of snow, but immediately north of it was a sizeable white mass. I couldn't see if was corniced, but didn't like the look of it. Since I thought it too dangerous to continue further north, I descended a few meters on the steep, snowy eastern slopes before turning north again below the ridge. A few minutes later I could see snowy blob from the other side: it had a big void below it!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Mont de l'Etoile' main page