Mont de l'Etoile

Mont de l'Etoile

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.07362°N / 7.44990°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 11056 ft / 3370 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is a mountain in the Pennine Alps situated between the Val d'Herens and the Lac des Dix. It lies north-east of the main ridge of the Aiguilles Rouges d'Arolla and just east of the Glacier de Vouasson. It can be hiked from Arolla village in a day via the Cabane des Aiguilles Rouges. No equipment is required in summer and there are only one or two steep sections.

Views from the top are expansive in all directions, including Mont Blanc, Matterhorn, Monte Rosa and the Bernese Oberland. Nearby peaks including Mont Collon, Pigne d'Arolla, Aiguilles Rouges d'Arolla, Aiguille de la Tsa and the Dent Blanche are all easily visible.

There are two summit areas with the northern one a few metres higher in elevation, but only accessible by a short rock climb (Class 3?). The main route to the lower summit is mainly Class 1 with one short steep Class 2 section.

Getting There

From Sion train station, take the postbus to Arolla village at 2000m. Follow signs from here to Cabane des Aiguilles Rouges. Alternatively, leave the bus at La Gouille, follows signs to the Lac Bleu, and then the Cabane.

From the Cabane a blue/white-marked trail leads west, then turns north to ascend the summit.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.