Monuments & Sculptures Alpine / 3 (High Elevations)

Monuments & Sculptures Alpine / 3 (High Elevations)

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Scenery

Virgin & Crosses Tumulusque OVERVIEW



The tiny Madonna of Gran Paradiso,

by markhallam


All Mountains provide a reference point final. Or is it a Cross, a Madonna, a Mound of stones or an Old Signal. Otherwise their rocks and hard snow cornices.
Little by little that you climb to the Summit disappear symbols and representations of the medium hill and appear, perhaps transformed, those of the High Mountain. But in the end, the goal remains the same: to drive out there from Pastures and away from the Devils Mountains; here to get closer to Heaven. A common search for protection against the unknown and the forces of Evil and a human recognition to those of Good. So man has always wanted to mark his passing and did so even on the High Tops ...

Tutte le Montagne offrono un punto di riferimento finale. Una Croce, Madonna, Ometto di pietre od un Antico Segnale. Altrimenti le loro rocce e cornici nevose.
A poco a poco che si sale verso lo alto scompaiono i simboli e le rappresentazioni della media collina ed appaiono, magari trasformati, quelli dell'Alta Montagna. Ma alla fin fine lo obiettivo permane il medesimo: là per scacciare il Diavolo allontanandolo dagli Alpeggi; qua per avvicinarsi maggiormente al Cielo. Una comune ricerca di protezione contro lo ignoto e le forze del Male ed un riconoscimento umano verso quelle del Bene. Così da sempre l'uomo ha voluto segnare il suo passaggio e lo ha fatto anche sulle Vette ...



Rosa dei Banchi particular Cross,

by p-mike


They can be of Crosses, more or less high, more or less artistic or just two simple pieces of wood crossed with a nail, a piece of iron wire and also a string. Represent the suffering of Christ, of all of us poor devils and of the entire Humanity. They indicate that above all this, there's still the Sky. That is also our ultimate goal, the utima real, big and difficult Climbing. Otherwise, but much more rarely, it appears the statue of Christ, usually with open arms to show the way, but also to welcome the tired and weary Mountaineers, which basically aim to Heaven. Saint Virgins and tiny Madonnas abound instead a little bit everywhere. Usually they pray while with their feet crush the Serpent. But all, in any event, looking away protecting the valleys or a city. Then there are the "signals pagans", the oldest in the time and generally consisting of a pile of stones, more or less well placed, or a rough stick. All indicate that there the Earth ends and the Sky begins and you can not go beyond that. A warning and also a recognition to distinguish from Summit Summit and to confirm to you that you have arrived. Make no mistake, just there where others already have come very very, much time before You ...

Posson esser Croci
, più o men alte, più o men artistiche o semplicemente due semplici pezzi di legno incrociati con un chiodo, un fil di ferro ed anche uno spago. Rappresentano la sofferenza del Cristo, di quella di tutti noi poveri diavoli e dell'intera Umanità. Indican che sopra a tutto ciò esiste pur sempre il Cielo. Che é anche la nostra ultima meta, l'utima vera, grande e difficoltosa Scalata. Altrimenti, ma molto più raramente, appare la statua del Cristo, in genere a braccia spalancate per indicare la via ma anche per accogliere gli stanchi ed affaticati Alpinisti, che in fondo mirano al Cielo. Sante Vergini e Madonnine invece abbondano un pò dovunque. In genere pregano mentre col lor piede schiacciano il Serpente. Ma tutte, in ogni caso, guardan lontano proteggendo le vallate oppur una città. Poi esistono "segnali pagani", più antichi nel tempo e costituiti generalmente da un mucchio di pietre, più o meno ben sistemate, od un bastone. Stan ad indicar che lì finisce la terra ed inizia il Cielo e che oltre non si può andar. Un monito ed anche un riconoscimento per distinguere Cima da Cima e per confermarvi che siete arrivati. Non illudetevi, semplicemente lì dove son giunti già altri ben prima di Voi ...



Pic Garin Tumulus,

by Osw


But sometimes (rarely) it happens the other way. That where there was a Cross (or two and maybe one wooden and another iron) is now a Tumulus. How to Garin. The Time (?) destroyed the Crosses and replaced them with a Cairns that, every year adding one stone, becomes higher. Until collapse and they will no longer exist on the Summit Crosses nor Mounds, but only an untidy pile of rocks and stones. Mountain has thus resumed its spaces to be back in primitive condition, "stripping" of all human contact. So, coming on the Summit, after looking all around warily, it will think of being the first to reach it. To win her. Poor deluded men, because the Mountains are not won, nor are won. Simply, as the Beautiful Women, they have left to spend. Once ...

Ma a volte (raramente) succede pur il contrario.
Che dove esistesse una Croce (anche due e magari una fatta in legno ed una in ferro) adesso si ritrovi un Tumulo di pietre accatastate. Come alla Garin. Il Tempo (?) ha distrutto le Croci e le ha sostituite con un Ometto di pietre che, di anno in anno aggiungendone una sull'altra, diventa sempre più alto. Fino a quando non crollerà e sulla Cima non esisteranno più ne Croci nè Ometti, ma sol un mucchio sparpagliato di rocce e sassi. La Montagna avrà così ripreso i suoi spazi ritornando ad esser nella condizione primigenia, "spogliandosi" d'ogni superfluo contatto umano. Allora, arrivando sulla Sommità, dopo aver guardato tutt'attorno con somma circospezione, si penserà d'esser stati i primi a raggiungerla. A conquistarla. Poveri uomini illusi, perché le Montagne non si vincono e neppur si conquistan per sempre.
Semplicemente, come le Belle Donne, t'han lasciato passar. 'Na volta ...



Thanks to Rutor's Madonna,

by Chandra


But to those who gets no pleasure, reaching a Summit, see meet, with open arms, a Madonna? We understand that the Labours and Hazards on the day concluded and who is about to achieve the Objective pursued. If not then it is a Madonna but of a Cross is the same thing. Even an Old Signal, maybe already known, indicating the end of a runway, a long journey that lasted above a mountain. Typically in ancient times, in addition to the classic Mound, it was used for to report a Summit an old stick driven between two stones or into a crack in the rock. This was the Signal, one that also found themselves Cartographers Her Majesty of Sardinia, leaving a special and characterisic Trigonometric Signal for then operate over great distances. This are the famous Tripod who were in existance on the Mont Gelé, over the Fallère, above the Mont Glacier and in the Punta Tersiva. The time, bad weather and some Vandal them completely destroyed ede is rare to find a few fragments. This latest disappearance was also the "White Our Lady" from the Vertex. After a series of accusations between those of Cogne and those of Fénis, both on the border of Punta Tersiva, both to the eager to be the "real owners", so that in Fénis Common it is the Emblem, it was found broken into the South Wall. Someone subtly suspicious, saying that the "crime" had been specially packed, others that the cause was due to lightning during a terrible storm. Moral final: was replaced with the "Black Madonna", which stands upward even now ...

Punta Tersiva Old Virgin Desasparecida 1993
Punta Tersiva Summit
Mont Fallère Old Tripod Summit s August 1965
Sulla vetta della punta...
By  Crev...  Marco Cossard on Fallère in December 1982


Ma a chi non fà piacere, arrivando ad una Sommità, vedere venire incontro, a braccia aperte, una Madonna? Si capisce che le Fatiche ed i Pericoli della giornata sono terminati e che si stà per raggiungere l'Obiettivo prefissato. Se poi non é una Madonna ma una Croce é la medesima cosa. Anche un Vecchio Segnale, magari già conosciuto, che indica il termine di una pista, di un lungo viaggio durato sopra una montagna. In genere nei tempi antichi, oltre al classico Ometto in pietra, era questa l'abitudine per segnalare un Vertice. Un vecchio bastone infisso tra due sassi od una spaccatura nella roccia. Era questo il Segnale, quello che ritrovavano anche i Cartografi di Sua Maestà Sarda, lasciando un Segnale Trigonometrico per poi operare anche a grande distanza. Sono i famosi Tripodi che si trovavano andando al Mont Gelé, al Fallère, al Glacier ed alla Tersiva. Il Tempo, l'intemperie e qualche Vandalo li hanno completamente distrutti ed é cosa rara ritrovarne qualche frammento. Su quest'ultima era scomparsa anche la "Madonna Bianca" dalla Vetta. Dopo una serie di accuse tra quelli di Cogne e quelli di Fénis, entrambi ai confini della Punta Tersiva ed entrambi desiderosi di esserne i "veri" proprietari tanto che a Fénis Comune ne é l'Emblema, venne ritrovata in frantumi sulla Parete Sud. Qualcuno subdolamente insospettisce dicendo che il "misfatto" era stato appositamente confezionato, altri che la causa era dovuta a fulmine durante tremendo temporale. Morale venne sostituita con la "Madonna Nera", che stà sù ancor ora ...



Please accomodate ye there ... ,

by Antonio

An Ancient Tradition



"Becca" Old Virgin Statue 12 September 1892,

by Osw 1986




Legendary Mythical Amilcar Crétier & Marmot,

by Lino Binel August 1927




"Fallère's Old Tripod September 1947,

by Walter Ferronato 1986




Old Emilius with Virgin & Iron Cross 1959,

by Walter Ferronato July 1965




Pic Garin Old Wooden Cross 1961,

by Osw September 1966

Madonnas



Tsaplana's & Grivola's Madonna,

by emilius






Punta Rossa della Grivola  Madonna summit
The Madonna on the top
Mont Crammont
Madonna on the shoulder of Pollux
Punta Tersiva - Madonna Summit


Mont Barbeston Little man marks your passage
iN THE eMILIUS S sUMMIT & sURROUNDINGSEMO & SUGGESTIONS The BLACK VIRGIN MARY Barbeston Mount S
CURT XI° Barbeston Tripod & Old Virgin statue 1987
Mont Barbeston Listening to the Black Madonna 2002
CURT XI° ... Mount Barbeston Black Madonna May 1987




Zumsteinspitze: "while a cross is a common...",

by Mathias Zehring

Crosses



Punta Ilario Antonio Garzotto Cross 1994,

by Osw




<b><font color=green>Rosa dei Banchi</font> <font color=purple><i> in</font><font color=red> HARD</font><font color=purple> STORM amongst</font> <font color=red>flashs of lightning</i></font></b> 2003
Punta Arpisson (m. 3030)
The lago Gelato
Croix de Fana Admiring the high Summit Cross 2002
Becca della Traversiere


Punta Rossa della Grivola summit cross
From PEAK GARIN (3451m) to Fleurie Lavà & Arpisson various
La Grivola Summit
GARIN PEAK North Summit with recent snowfall on 1973
<B><FONT COLOR=RED>INDIAN GUIDE APACHE</FONT> and <font color=green>MAJOR GENERAL</FONT> to<FONT COLOR=GREEN> Valletta Point</font> & <font color=brown>The GOATS</FONT></B>








Emilius Old Cross 1986,

by Osw

Cairn & Mounds



Punta Lèchaud mini Cairn,

by Emilio Bertona






Quiet rest from Summit Cima Piana to Northeast 2007
From Point Chénessy Monte dei Corni & Fricolla Point 2005
All Routes of PEAK GARIN (3461m) NE Summit 1998
Folklore & ... Curtain: Fires of Peter & Paul
Tour Ponton Rest near the tumulus of Summit 2005


<b><font color=red>Osvaldo CARDELLINA</font> by <font color=red>Gianni JUNOD</font> <font color=green> Tresenta Summit</font> (3609m) <font color=orange>Summer</font> 1967</b>
Punta del Tuf
<b><font color=green>GALISIA Point SUMMIT</font>(3346m), after <FONT COLOR=BLUE>SNOWYSTORM</FONT></B>
Grivola
G. PARADISE Cold Tresenta Point Summit <i>(3609m)</i> 1968








Punta Palasina lonely Mound,

by emilius

Other Signals Summit



Punta della Valletta old Sign '66,

by Osw






<b>Moussaillon Tower</b> or Moussaillon Mount
Orientation plate at  the panoramic viewpoint of Court de Bard
Point Bianca, Notre Dame Tower & Bioula Summit 1994
Grande ROCHERE SUMMIT (3326m)
COURT XI° Play, play, ring, Boy, if you want to drive <font color=red><i>The DEVIL!</i></font> 2003


Military Ten. Chabloz Shelter between two Summits 1993
 On the summit..
July 06, 1969: Mount Paramont from Summit (3301m) to South and Becca Bianca
Walking in the Surroundings /2b ... Mount Mary 1968
Point of the Valletta <i>(3090m)</i> The First in Winter 1977








Arietta's Bell,

by Gino Bolfo

"Granpa" & Surroundings Old & New

Tresenta
Ciarforon
<font color =blue>ILA & OSVA 1967</font>
Summit of Gran Paradiso 4061m
 Gran Paradiso


AOSTA VALLEY in  SUMMIT ROCCIA VIVA the SUMMIT CROSS
Rifugio Chabod 2750 m
Granta Parei (3387m) all routes from West
la Madonnina del Gran Paradiso
Courmayeur to Giuseppe Petigax & Emile Rey 2015


The Big Summits & the great Guides Courmayeur



Cervino or Matterhorn,

by alpinpete




Dente del Gigante,

by Silvia Mazzani


Dedicated to Cesare Chenoz 1912 Himalaya Exp. 2015
Alpine ... 3 Dedicated to Guide Alessio Fenoillet 2015
Alp/3 Dedicated to Mario Puchoz 1954 K2 Exp. 2015
Alp 3 Dedicated to 1977 Annapurna  Henry Guide 2015
[img:953740:aligncenter:small: ]



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.