Moore's Wall Sentinel Buttress, NC

Moore's Wall Sentinel Buttress, NC

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Rock Climbing

Moore's Wall, Sentinel Buttress

Moore s Wall, NCMoore's Wall, NC
See both parents for particulars on the beautiful hiking trail to the top and the details on the climb. Thought I would add a few photos.

Sentinel Buttress Direct is easy to protect and great exposure. Good for beginning trad leads. The Guidebook has it at 5.5, but I think it is easier. Small variations can add a few levels of difficulty.

From the climber's parking lot take the left trail marked Sentinel Buttress. Start the two pitch climb at the left wall of the Buttress.
Sentinel ButtressFirst pitch. Crux is the crack just below the climber (me)

Climb the first pitch to the Crow Nest - a roomy ledge with a belay constructed with webbing around a large boulder. 5.4 (My rating)
Sentinel Buttress

Walk to the right of the ledge to find the second pitch 5.3 (My rating)
Top of Moores Knob, NCTaking rope before "on belay"

Second pitch needs a full 60 M rope for the rappel back to the Crow's Nest. Find belay anchors below the ledge to climber's left. If you are just using the rappel after coming off another climb, do not be fooled by the large ledge 15 feet above the Crow's Nest. It leaves you a 5 rated downclimb away from a secure place.

Alternately to stay off the line, from the P2 belay ledge, scramble to the top and take the Loop Trail to the right, back to climbers parking lot.

This climbing line is popular and the only rappel for a number of climbs on the Circus Wall and others. If you want to "kick up some dirt" suggest in the passionate NC trad climbing community that another rap station be bolted in. Step back and watch the "dust fly."

External Links



Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.