snowed a bit while on the summit, but beautiful views, flowers and wildlife
Beautiful day and great summit views
Beautiful sunny skies and no wind at the top. Beautiful!
Climbed with my youngest sister and our Father
Hiked up Mt Elbert with Astrid while on holiday in the USA. Nice and sunny day.
We had tried Elbert's south trail on 19 feb and had to turn back because the conditions turned bad. We went back in April and had gorgeous weather.
left car around 5ish.. started prolly bout a mile from the paved TH (south mt elbert).. arrived summit 11:30ish.. hung for bout 1/2 hour.. perfect timing for some sweet turns ..damn this rocked!
perfect beautiful sunny day..
Great day on the mountain. Led a group from the CU hiking club up and then we skied/boarded down. Really fun time!
S. Elbert, too.
Beautiful climb, very enjoyable until after the summit when the wind picked back up
Hey, how were the conditions? I am thinking of climbing in 2 weeks and wondering if I should bring snow shoes and/or crampons. Thanks so much,
...but a long day. Great weather! Third summit of Elbert, but my first time in winter.
This was frustrating, gorgeous, mind-bending, and fun! We camped for two nights on the shore of a couple of lakes close to the trailhead. Then we started up the trail from a parking lot early one morning (although not early enough to miss the daily rain in the early afternoon). Bugs, switchbacks, open snow belts, shortness of breath, altitude sickness, and wonderful scenery were all a part of this memorable hike.
Up the Black Cloud trail. Took too long due to dragging "extra weight" with me. Bwahaha! Couldn't beat the storm, so had to turn around. I'll be back!
While I was through-hiking the Colorado Trail, I took a side trip to the summit on a beautiful summer day. It was very crowded and I was glad to get back to the relative solitude of the CT.
with susan, mike and jason on a beautiful day
First winter ascent of a peak. Had a beautiful day weather wise, and the trail was nice and boot packed. Good way to bang out this class 1 route.
Mid July 2010 - Attempted a night ascent, but a thunderstorm turned me back just above treeline. I tried to wait it out, but it lingered for a few hours. So, I descended in the dark, slept a few hours, then headed back up and tagged the summit early the next morning.
2nd day in Colorado. Fairly windy and cloudy, it seemed like there might be T-storm danger. But it snowed.