Mount Eva Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 43
aakers

aakers - Dec 11, 2023 9:09 pm Date Climbed: May 24, 2023

East Berthoud Pass Traverse, Hitch-hike Out  Sucess!

Climbed up from the Berthoud Pass, passing over Mt. Flora, and Mt. Eva before ending on Parry's Peak. Coming back from Parry's Peak, a thunderstorm gathered over Mt. Flora, and it started to pelt snow. Decided to descend the ridge to the highway and hitch-hiked back up to our car. Very interesting day, but mostly good snow conditions throughout.

Woodie Hopper

Woodie Hopper - Aug 28, 2023 3:42 pm Date Climbed: Aug 28, 2023

From Berthoud Pass and Mount Flora  Sucess!

Snuck in a couple peaks during a day off from work between rains. Hoped to get Parry Peak in too, but didn't want to risk getting caught in bad weather since clouds were building nearby. Nice hike!

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Oct 18, 2021 1:13 pm Date Climbed: May 2, 2021

from Berhoud Pass  Sucess!

from Colorado Mines Peak to Bancroft and back. Good training for Denali, and in a storm.

Kiefer

Kiefer - Jun 6, 2018 4:43 am Date Climbed: Jun 2, 2018

Berthoud Pass Run  Sucess!

With Colorado Mines, Eva, Flora, Whitter, Parry Peak & Bancroft.

rmjwinters

rmjwinters - Jul 25, 2015 8:26 pm Date Climbed: Jul 25, 2015

Traverse from Berthoud  Sucess!

To Bancroft 7.2 miles

BradBartick

BradBartick - Jun 27, 2015 7:51 pm Date Climbed: Jul 17, 2015

Another option for Eva on the East Ridge  Sucess!

This is only my opinion, but I have been up and around Eva, Parry, and Bancroft a bunch of times. Every time I was in that area, I would look at the awesome rocky north side of the bump/summit directly East of Eva. This "bump" is along the very rocky ridge that extends due East from Eva's summit. It looks loose and intimidating but is actually quite the opposite.

If you are inclined to enjoy a good/easy Class 3 scramble, try this route. I did not take any photos, but I placed distinct markers along the entire route.

Here is how you get there: First, park at Fall River Reservoir. Walk to the reservoir. At this point almost due west, a giant rocky peak dominates. This is the "bump" along Eva's East Ridge. The summit of the "bump" (and Eva as well) are not quite visible, but that rocky behemoth is your goal.

Back to business. Walk along the South shore of the lake on a footpath. Follow it until the reach the "mouth." From the mouth, follow a footpath west to a series of small waterfalls (sometimes visible, and due West of, and above, the reservoir proper). Scramble up ledges, etc., staying to the left of the waterfalls.

To not overcomplicate these directions, suffice it to say that you are aiming for the basin from which the water is flowing to the falls.

Once you crest the falls and emerge into the tranquil basin, more of Eva's East Ridge is visible (will be sort of south/southwest of you). In the basin, stay to the left of the creek/river, somewhat trying to hug the base of the mountain on your left.

By looking up at the ridge from the top of the falls, you can tell early on that there is a vertical cleft in the ridge that would make trouble for you if you attempted to gain the ridge too early. Keep walking, maybe 1/4 mile West from the top of the falls. You will eventually see yet another huge cleft on Eva's East Ridge, this one with gigantic boulders it's base and a scree fan that heads up into it. I may not be exactly right, but this cleft sort of segments the north slopes into two. It may have remnants of a snowfield on the left side of the base/scree. To the RIGHT of this cleft, you can see about 1000 feet of steep ledges and grassy areas mixed in. This is the general location of the route up to the ridge proper. It looks steep as heck from this view, but it is easy.

Begin heading up the scree pile into the cleft, scrambling on loose rock. After maybe 250-350 vert from the valley floor look for an escape from the scree pile on your RIGHT. I marked it with a sturdy cairn.

From there, follow my cairns (perhaps destroyed by weather) or simply make your own route as you go. There are always easy terrain options so ascending is never difficult. Eventually the angle softens. I kind of zig-zagged the higher I got, generally angling diagonally climbers right, especially once the angle was less steep nearing the top. The rock was excellent for markers so I made a ton of them. Once on the ridge proper, simply head West to a summit with no marker, then climb Eva if you want. Descent: Drop down north from the saddle between Eva and the bump. It is gentle-sloping, then head East back to the falls and the reservoir. Enjoy! Sorry for no photos.

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - Apr 6, 2015 11:14 am Date Climbed: Apr 4, 2015

with Witter  Sucess!

#3: 4/4/15 Ski descent with Brian, Ben and Derek of SE Bowl. Then went up Witter and down the Welcome Couloir. Some new snow a few days before made for an interesting mix of powder and the early formations of a sun crust, but it was a good early spring tour!
#4: 1/16/22 Solo, Also climbed Mines and Flora. Windy sunny winter day on the Divide.

jerky1280

jerky1280 - Jan 23, 2015 4:57 pm Date Climbed: Sep 30, 2013

Via Berthoud Pass  Sucess!

Hiked up from Mount Flora.

theREALCarpeDM

theREALCarpeDM - Jul 27, 2014 9:34 am Date Climbed: Jul 26, 2014

looped with Bancroft and Parry  Sucess!

Parked at Fall River Reservoir and climbed the East Ridge of Bancroft, then over to Parry and Eva. The willows coming down off Eva sucked! But the East Ridge was a delight.

telemarkdude

telemarkdude - Jul 20, 2014 8:36 pm Date Climbed: Jul 19, 2014

Nice Loop Hike  Sucess!

Very nice loop hike from Fall River Reservoir. Did Eva, Parry and Bancroft.

redsplashman23

redsplashman23 - Aug 19, 2013 8:23 pm Date Climbed: Aug 18, 2013

Flora-Eva  Sucess!

Hiked Flora, then Eva. Skipped Colorado Mines Peak on the return due to incoming storms. It started raining minutes after returning to Berthoud Pass.

jfulcher

jfulcher - Jun 30, 2013 4:05 pm Date Climbed: Jun 30, 2013

From Berthoud  Sucess!

Hit mines, flora, Eva, parry, & Bancroft.

milan - Oct 22, 2012 5:27 pm Date Climbed: Sep 11, 2011

Lovely day.  Sucess!

I was at a conference in Winter Park and after that, I woke up very early and hiked Colorado Mines Peak, Flora, Eva, Parry and Bancroft. What a lovely September day!

armorfoot

armorfoot - Jun 13, 2012 12:53 am Date Climbed: Jun 12, 2012

Bushwack of Grandeur  Sucess!

Climbed up from Flora. Made the GENIUS idea to descend down the Eva Creek cirque and drainage. Probably spent 1/4 of the descent in the creek or doing the best glissade of my life down the remains of a loooong avy chute. Ended up with my friends and wife cut, bruised, soaked, and bewildered at Robbers Roost campground at the bottom of Berthoud. Wow.

MattK

MattK - Nov 29, 2011 2:56 pm Date Climbed: Jul 25, 2011

Nice Loop  Sucess!

Did a nice loop from Bancroft, Parry, Eva, and Witter. Once back at the reservoir we were disgusted with the amount of trash that has been left behind. Pick up some but we soon could no longer carry anymore.

Senad Rizvanovic

Senad Rizvanovic - Oct 23, 2011 9:54 pm Date Climbed: Oct 23, 2011

6 peaks  Sucess!

Climbed along with Colorado Mines, Flora,Eva,Perry, Bancroft and James Pk. Long Day but very rewarding.

colinpence

colinpence - Aug 21, 2011 3:25 pm Date Climbed: Aug 18, 2011

from Fall River Reservoir Basin  Sucess!

Randy, Sharon, Cheryl, Bandit and I climbed this via fall River Reservoir. The flowers in the FR basin were incredible. We saw some old airplane wreckage in the creek on the way up. As usual we saw no one on the way up, and had the summit (almost) to ourselves. All in all it was another great day to be in the Colorado mountains!

Brian Kalet

Brian Kalet - Jul 5, 2011 1:41 pm Date Climbed: Jul 3, 2011

3 Peaks  Sucess!

With Flora & Parry.

metalmountain

metalmountain - Jun 15, 2011 6:17 pm Date Climbed: Jun 11, 2011

East Ridge...almost

Hiked through the snow to Chinn's lake, and then straight up to the top of the East Ridge via a gully on the north side of Slater lake. Made it to the saddle one the ridge as it approaches the summit and had to bail due to big cornices snow leading to the summit. Awesome route though!

thatnissanguy

thatnissanguy - Dec 20, 2010 10:00 pm Date Climbed: Nov 29, 2009

5 Peak Day  Sucess!

Climbed along with Bancroft, Parry, Flora, and Whitter. One of my most memorable days of solo mountaineering.

Viewing: 1-20 of 43
Return to 'Mount Eva' main page