Mount Osceola Trail via Tripoli Road

Mount Osceola Trail via Tripoli Road

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.00080°N / 71.536°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

MT. OSCEOLA TRAILHEAD VIA TRIPOLI ROAD: (2280') This road is usually closed from November to April to snowmobile traffic. From I-93, get off on Exit 31 (Tripoli Road) and head east on Tripoli Road to past the trailhead on the Mount Tecumseh Trail. Mt. Osceola is 7 miles on your left (WMNF Mandatory Fee).

From Waterville Valley, head to the Waterville Ski Area. When you reach Tripoli Road make a right. When you come to a fork in the road, make another right. Head Past the Livermore Park Ranger Station and campground and all the way up Tripoli Road past the height of land. Mt. Osceola will be on your right just past the height of land.


Route Description


FROM TRIPOLI ROAD TRAILHEAD: (2280')

This section of the Mt. Osceola trail is very easy in comparision to the the other side which can be very difficult. It ascends Mt. Osceola in very easy and moderate grades to the top of Mt. Osceola and can be typical be done in four hours. The trail though is exceptionally rocky in areas, especially towrad the beginning. The summit of Mt. Osceola has terrific views with forty one 4000 footers of the White Mountains and Mt. Mansfield in Vermont in site.

Osceola (May 20th, 2001)
Taken from Mount Osceola looking north
View from summit of Mt. Osceola
View from the summit of Mount Osceola


From the Tripoli Road trailhead take the Mt. Osceola Trail up moderate but rocky terrain. Use care on the rocks due to this section being especially rocky. It begins to climb switchbacks about a mile and half into the trail. Beyond the small brook crossing their is a small overlook with good views of Mt. Tecumseh. The trail continue over a number of switchbacks alternating from easy grades to steeper pitches until it hit the first of two fire towers at 3.2 miles. A side trail (almost overgrown) to the left will lead to excellent views of Franconia Ridge, The Bonds and Twins, and of Mt. Washington. Then head back to the main trail to the summit ledge with an even better view of Mt. Washington, Mt. Carrigain, Mt. Trypyramids and many of the other White Mountains.


Map of the Route
This is the map of the route up Mount Osceola. The red represents the summer route while the blue represents the winter variation.

Essential Gear

 

 

Osceola (May 20th, 2001)
Cotton t-shirt not usually a good idea! :)

 


In summer all that is required is a essential hiking gear and good sturdy hiking boots. Tennis shoes would be a nightmare on this trail due to the rocky nature of it, especially on the lower sections. Remember to bring bug repellent especially during black fly season in June, because if you don't you will have many scratchy memories. 

In winter this trail should be traversed in deep snow due to the number of rocks on it. When deep snow has accumulated, this trail can be traversed in snowshoes, though the hike dramatically increases in mileage. Crampons are advisable to bring during winter as a safety measure.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.