Wurmtaler Kopf

Wurmtaler Kopf

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.94024°N / 10.79312°E
Activities Activities: Skiing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10679 ft / 3255 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Wurmtaler Kopf is a mountain in the Ă–tztal alps. It is located in the south end of the Kaunergrat and borders to the alpine main ridge. The perspective ranges from Watzespitze in the north, Wildspitze in the east, Hochvernagtspitze in the south and Glockturm in the west. Because of the wide area of the Wurmtal (valley to the mountain) and constant descent it is a paradise for cross country skiing.

The following describtion is a guidline for skitouring to the mountain.

Wurmtaler Kopf

Getting There

Comming from Innsbruck, drive along the highway A12 to Imst (about 50km). Shortly after a tunnel (Roppenertunnel) you will find the gateway. Leave the highway and follow the signs leading to Pitztal. Following the street L16 for about 35km you will cross a few villages. Arzl, Wenns, St. Leonhard, Plangeross and finaly you will reach Mandarfen. Parking at the lower station of the cable way to the Rifflsee.

Way to the summit

Geigenkamm

Wurmtaler Kopf

Starting at Mandarfen you will have two opportunities:
- a) using the cable way to reach a level of 2200m
- b) launching at the valley

a) using the cable way:
from the mountain station a short descent down to the lake. Crossing the lake at the north bank. The lake behind you, follow the valley southwards. Do not walk closely to the ridges around (avalanches)! After a short rise (at 2400m) go staight ahead. (At this place a sideline leads you to K2 and Rositzkogel.) Always keep in the middle of the valley. At the beginning of a small canyon make sure to walk on the left side. The Wurmtaler Kopf always ahead follow the valley to the starting glacier (Rifflferner). In a wide left turn (main picture) climb the glacier and walk to the saddle between the summit and the secondary summit.


b) launching at the valley:
walk up the piste to the mountain station of the cableway. Then follow a).

Camping

Usually camping is not neccesary. There are no huts close. If you want to camp or need any save place, you will find a bivouac 30m below the summit. Make sure to leave it clean.

In the main valley (Pitztal) you will find a few very nice hotels. Bed & breakfast is also offered for a small amount.

Maps and Links

digital map for hiking and mountaineering

air photograph Wurmtaler Kopf - Rifflsee

Area angle for wintersports

Avalanche assesment for Tirol (Winter only)

Impressions

Great perspective:
Glockturm


Glockturm (far away)
Wildspitze












Wildspitze

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

KaunergratMountains & Rocks