Lions Head Peninsula

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.00000°N / 81.233°W
Additional Information County: Lions Head
Activities Activities: Hiking, Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Toprope, Bouldering, Mixed
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 787 ft / 240 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Lions Head Peninsula is located on the east coast of the Bruce Peninsula facing Georgian bay.
Lions head offers beautiful limestone sport climbing which is considered to be some of the best in Ontario. The cliffs are approached from the top via the Bruce Trail, so climbing at Lion's Head is a serious undertaking! Climbers should be experienced since most of the climbs require rappeling to a hanging belay above sharp pointy talus. Their difficulty entails being able to climb out or spend the next 2hrs bushwacking across the base. If you don't wish to deal with these issues then try the nearby White's Bluff, High Dump and TV Tower Crags.
The section of the Bruce Trail can also be hiked in both summer and winter. The trail does see a lot of traffic in the winter and provide a moderately challenging route to a nice camp site on McKay's Harbour.

Getting There

From the town of Lion's Head, turn East on Moore's Road Untill it is possible to take a fork in the road which follows the white blazes of the Bruce Trail. Parking is now limited to the area at the end of Moore's road.
PLEASE Do not block driveways or park on the side with the cottages.

Red Tape

Please do not use the tree as anchors as the Cedars are a very touchy specimen in Ontario, many of these trees are over 1000 years old and access can be severely hindered if climbers are found damaging too many trees.
Further information about climbing in the area can be found at The Ontario Access Coalition Website

Camping

There are a couple of campground just outside the town of lions head and camping is permit along the Bruce Trail at McKay's Harbour. This site has a beautiful view across Georgian bay but can get quite windy so be prepared.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Lake HuronMountains & Rocks