Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Curtissimo

Curtissimo - Dec 10, 2008 3:26 pm - Voted 10/10

great report!

hi g! great report! i have actually seen the lookout open on two occasions, one by someone who did not let anyone up (2007 with EastKing and my son) and then left; and another time when a ranger was there and let us drink tea on a frigid august day (99). I think I've been up there well over a dozen times, though, and those were the only times I saw it open.

also, in the summer there is another trail split that does not relate to the chute: up near the tarns one can choose to scramble the ridge (fun class 2) or follow the trail around the north side of the ridge to the summit with no scrambling.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Dec 11, 2008 1:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: great report!

Is that Curt? I was starting to wonder who the new guy with the Aztecan user image was. Welcome to SP! It's been difficult to figure out who has rights to the lookout and what it is used for. Before now, I have only heard reports of it being used by researchers from some college but you make it sound like the rangers have keys as well.

My first time on Granite we ended up on the ridge you described and it was very exciting. It felt like a reel alpine experience.

Adam

Curtissimo

Curtissimo - Dec 15, 2008 3:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: great report!

yes that's me. sorry to be stalking you we must have the same taste in mountains because the first two peaks i checked on you had the pages!

Curtissimo

Curtissimo - Dec 10, 2008 3:28 pm - Voted 10/10

airplane on top?

magellan once told me there is an crashed airplane somewhere on the east side of the peak... has anyone ever heard of that? i'd like to go look for it one summer day if that's really true.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Dec 11, 2008 2:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: airplane on top?

He told me that too but I've never heard it mentioned anywhere else. Here's an article I just found. It sounds like it would be hard to find.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Granite Mountain (Snoqualmie)' main page