Viewing: 1-19 of 19
Grant

Grant - Oct 2, 2003 7:37 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

An excellent page, for an excellent area.

Alan Ellis

Alan Ellis - Oct 2, 2003 8:38 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Just like Campbell's soup: Mmmm, Mmmm good.

Kane

Kane - Oct 3, 2003 12:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks Alan-now get to work!

Kane

Kane - Oct 3, 2003 12:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

BTW-if you are ever going to hike Holy Cross I would really recommend this route, you would love it.

Colonelpyat

Colonelpyat - Oct 2, 2003 11:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Yet another reason to return to this great area.

nader

nader - Oct 3, 2003 8:33 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I see that you were not too far from me on September 27. Great info & pics.

Kane

Kane - Oct 3, 2003 12:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Yes!! We had great weather didn't we? Thanks for the vote.

Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Oct 13, 2003 4:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Ooops. I can't believe I failed to vote on this page. Must've been distracted...EXCELLENT.

Sharon

Sharon - Feb 15, 2004 11:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Oh WOW! The panoramic shot blew my socks off!

JonBradford

JonBradford - Mar 5, 2004 8:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Hmm this is up there with your East Beckwith page. You know Kane you are going to catch hell when you produce a merely excellent page. Everyone is going to expect only the spectacular from you...

Jon



PS this page gets the art geek award! Nice touch with the reflection on the water. It goes well with the beautiful panoramic shot with the aspen.

Gareth

Gareth - May 21, 2004 7:16 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great page. That picture of the aspens is beautiful!

Kane

Kane - May 21, 2004 9:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Gareth, thanks for your recent votes. Are you dreaming of the mountains again? When are you heading out this way again, and what are you thinking of hiking/climbing?

Gareth

Gareth - May 22, 2004 6:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Kane, yes, I have been dreaming of the Colorado Rockies again. My sister and I are coming in mid-July for about a week and a half. We hope to climb five mountains or so in the space of about eight days (Sneffels, Wetterhorn, Capitol, Torreys, and Grays). We also will try and fit in as many hikes as possible (Silver Lake to acclimate a bit, possibly a little of the Bear Creek Trail, possibly a venture up into the Vasquez Peak area or the Gores). As the trip is so dang ambitious, I have been in the fitness center whipping myself into shape just so I can survive (too bad we live at about 1000 ft.)!



I guess that if you have read some of the stuff I have scattered around on SP, especially my trip report on Geissler Mountain (and my soon to come report on Longs) or even for that matter, what I put on my profile page, you can tell that I have a lot of love and affection for the mountains of Colorado. My brain is packed full of romanticized memories that go back to 1984 when my family gathered at my uncle’s house in Littleton for Thanksgiving and the subsequent visits since. I have spent many years dreaming of all of the places that I would go in those magic mountains. I always figured that I would have years to explore them. It seems however that this is not to be the case. I hate to say it, but this summer may be my last in Colorado. In late September I am moving down to Alabama to become a Franciscan friar (MFVAs) and eventually (probably) a Catholic priest. It’s not something that I would do if I weren’t about darn sure that that is what God wants me to do with my life. Once I enter the community, I will go home for a week once a year, and it would be possible to get together with my family in CO, but this is a little unlikely. The MFVAs do get outdoors and go to the Smokey Mountains in NC every summer and do other such things. I will be giving up a lot. The funny thing is that I am far more torn up about saying goodbye to CO than I am about anything else (including not having a wife). But, at the same time I am sure that for everything that I give up, I will receive a lot more.



Kane, some of your mountain pages have been causing me problems! I was looking at the Rinker Peak/Twin Peaks and Mount Hope pages the other night (mountains that I drove past on highway 82 and looked up at with a sense of awe last August) and I felt really sad that I probably won’t ever get a chance to climb and explore mountains like these which are less frequently climbed and more out of the way. Who cares if there not fourteeners! If every Tom, Dick, and Harry doesn’t climb them so much the better. (Maybe my sister and I ought to forget Grays and Torreys and climb these instead.)



If I wasn’t heading off to the religious life, I would be very content moving to Colorado, getting a humble job (whatever my new semi-worthless psychology degree will get me) and spending the rest of the time exploring the peaks above and the cold streams below. Last fall I was even rather seriously considering spending this coming year in Colorado.



We will see what happens. Nothing is set in stone. It will be several years before any final commitments are made. Life is a twisty trail!

Kane

Kane - May 22, 2004 9:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Interesting and respectable direction you are heading. You have some important decisions to make in the near future. I was once a city boy living in Houston Tx. working late nights in a restuarant. Back in those days I used to chase girls, drink a lot and basically live for the moment, pretty scary life style. My brother called me up one day and invited me out to stay with him in Aspen Co; that's when I got all fired up about the mountains.



I thought I would head on back to Texas one day to finish college, but I got lucky and met my wife, she would have no part in Texas.



I ended up being good at retail and now work for a major department store here in Denver-it pays the bills. Besides my family, my real passion is Colorado's expanive and beautiful land. I live for it daily, almost hourly-I am obsessed.



Not knowing you at all, I have this to say-if you love the mountains like you say you do maybe you ought to spend one season out here and go climbing crazy. You are not going to have young legs forever. Afterwards you may have fullfilled this climbing ambition you have and you may feel vindicated, allowing you to focus on your profession. The only problem with this is you might not want to ever leave.



Let me know if you ever need any route beta or mountain suggestions, I would be happy to send you off to only the "epic" places that I know of here in Colorado. Your list of future climbs is good, but you might want to let me talk you out of Grays and Torreys. Take care.



Tomorrow, Colonalpyat and I are heading out to the Gores for two days to climb Red Peak and Demming Mountain. Keep an eye out for a Red Peak page in the near future. I'll send you a shot of Red and Demming. Check your e-mail.

Gareth

Gareth - Aug 18, 2004 8:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Kane…



Have you ever received any emails from me (gareth@ksu.edu)? I have sent a few but I am not sure that you ever got them. Just wondering if I have somehow been sending them to the wrong address.

Kane

Kane - Aug 20, 2004 6:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Gareth, I have recieved your e-mail, I just got back from Glacier Gorge. Sorry for the late reply. I have been really busy. My plans have changed since we last spoke about North Maroon. I didn't put too much into you being able to make it so I went ahead and changed plans for that weekend. I have comepletely lost interest in climbing N. Maroon. I think you could solo that mountain, especially with some helpful beta that I have if your interested. Otherwise, I think I will be going for Willoughby Mountain. If you are interested in an obscure gem like Willoughby then let me know.

The Lower Marmot

The Lower Marmot - May 22, 2004 9:41 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

"Mommy, when I grow up, I want to be the next Kane!"

BobSmith

BobSmith - Jun 30, 2004 7:17 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Wow. Looks like a great wilderness venture.

Brad Snider

Brad Snider - Sep 21, 2004 10:05 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Awesome page! I second The Lower Marmot!

Viewing: 1-19 of 19
Return to 'Holy Cross Ridge (UN13,831,UN13,768 & UN13,248)' main page