Viewing: 1-10 of 10
BobSmith

BobSmith - Mar 26, 2004 8:14 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice little eastern mountain page.



How high is the highest point on the mountain? (Not in CT.)

hgrapid

hgrapid - Mar 26, 2004 9:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Thanks for adding this page. I am going to try the Connecticut high point next month, and I don't want to get lost. Is it really easy to find?

Keep adding info, so us highpointers can find the way. One other question, is it easy to climb Frissel as well, from the CT highpoint area? I'd want to climb both. Thanks.

climber46

climber46 - Mar 27, 2004 11:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

HGRapid,



Yes, the trail to the Connecticut highpoint is easy to follow. The Higpointer Club has done an outstanding job of marking red blazes along the trail. The most challengin part for me was finding the trailhead. It seemed like I drove down Mt. Washington Rd from the Massachusetts(north) side for an awful long time. Once I figured out that I really was at the proper trailhead, the rest was easy.



You essentially reach the summit of Mt. Frissell en route to the CT hi-point. The summit of Mt. Frissell is a spur that goes about 100 feet in length and about 10 vertical feet at the most.

vertx

vertx - Mar 27, 2004 12:53 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Interesting... What is the other State that the highpoint is not the summit? Great trivia question. Nice highpoint page!

jenniferdenoya

jenniferdenoya - Dec 5, 2004 4:37 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Detailed information...thanks for the post!

Alpinist

Alpinist - Jun 19, 2005 10:59 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Thanks for adding this page for us Highointers. Do you know any good history about the Peak that might make it more interesting for readers? Perhaps comment on the controversy between this highpoint and the Bear Mtn "highest summit". Who was the fool that created the plaque on Bear Mtn "Highest ground in CT", which is totally absurd. A weather map would be helpful too.



There are a couple of errors in your page.

1) the topo coordinates are off. This is the correct location:

2) Frissell is spelled incorrectly in the "Getting There" section.

climber46

climber46 - Jul 17, 2005 8:20 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Alpinist,



Spelling errors for the Mt Frissell page have been corrected. With regard to the GPS Coordinates, SP rounds the data. I actually have 42.0304 N and 73.2857 W, but it rounds to the nearest hundredth. Topozone does not give me the numbers I need; if you have suggestions of specific numbers I should use for the coordinates, please let me know. I do not own a GPS and my GPS data was taken from the highpointers website.



climber46

Alpinist

Alpinist - Jul 19, 2005 9:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I don't know the exact topo coordinates either, but you've got it close enough now. One of the Mt Frissell's is still spelled wrong in the Getting There section.

2skinners - Jan 13, 2006 10:24 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great page!!

dieck - Nov 20, 2011 12:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Added topo maps into the gallery

Found some topo maps of the high point trail and uploaded into the gallery. They were the only thing missing from this page IMO.

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'Mount Frissell (Southwest Shoulder)' main page